Dogomania

Protein/fat/fiber?

Bentleythewonderdog

When looking at nutritional info on labels whats better? I have Mia (16 week old yorkie) and Bentley (2 year old maltese) ,she's on Nutro puppy and he eats Nutro adult and Natural Balance. I can't keep them out of each others food and after reading another post about them not really needing "puppy formulas" I'm kind of wanting to only buy 1 food. I don't want Bentley getting fat eating the puppy food. The reason he's on a blend of the Nutro and Natural balence is because I was trying to phase him off Nutro and I was mixing the 2 . I'm looking at the protein, fat and fiber on the 3 foods and I want whats best for the 2 of them. Help! I don't know what to look for.
Protein Fat Fiber
26 12 5 Nutro puppy
21 12 5 Nutro Lamb and Rice adult
23 13 3 Dick Van Patton's Natural Balance.

I know other things are important in there too, but I just dont know which to go with. I think the vet was clueless. He didn't recommend any brands said they were all fine......... and he would rather my older dog eat the puppy formula than the puppy eat the adult formula. Which would be the all around better choice for the 2 dogs?

i agree with black GSD, the natural balance is definitely the best of the 3 as far as ingredient quality goes.

as for the formulation, you will really have to see how your dogs do on the food, it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing any details about a specific individual. results from a food change usually become apparent after 4-6 weeks, sometimes it takes longer, sometimes much faster, e.g. allergy problems may clear up pretty quickly after the allergen is eliminated from the diet.

my own dog for example does better on a formula with higher fat and protein than most average foods provide, while my friend's dog doesn't do well on fatty foods at all and eats a formula with only 8% fat.

there are other factors that aren't as obvious, since most manufacturers don't even publish those details unless you specifically ask for them, such as the carbohydrate content, ratio and amounts of essential fatty acids (omega 3's and 6's), and other things.

are you limited to nutro or natural balance in what you can buy? there are many other brands that are of superior quality, and not necessarily more expensive if you do a detailed comparison.

have you checked out independent pet stores or small local chains? i don't know where you live, so of course i don't know your situation either, but i understand if you are somewhat limited in your choice.

smaller pet stores are often very cooperative in special ordering items for you too, so no need to buy online.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have access to Canidae? It is an all life stage food and I am REALLY pleased with the results I am getting.

My 3 range from 21 months to 3 months and they all 3 eat Canidae. It is keeping the older dogs slim and the puppy is growing fantastically with no excess fat. I am a firm DISbeliever in puppy food. Just too much fat.

If not accessible, I would be feeding both the natural balance. Fiber should be low, protein high and fat moderate. Dogs really dont need fiber and the higher the fiber content the more fillers. Fat is very important to dogs but you dont want it to be too high as it can create weight issues. Protein is the main building block of the diet. The NB is a great food and your pup should do very well it.

Good luck.