Dogomania

Does anyone use a forced-air blower or dryer?

Malamum

Does anyone use a forced-air blower or dryer for grooming their dog.

I want to buy one and am going to look for one this weekend but was wondering if their are any specific features I should be looking for? I don't really know too much about them or what would be considered a good one and what wouldn't.

I use high velocity dryers at the dog grooming shop...you couldn't run a grooming business without them. I also use them on my Newfoundland dogs, the dryers force all the dead coat out and cuts your grooming time in half...and also I like my Newf's to be 100% dry.
For double coated breeds such as Husky's etc. you can get all the undercoat out...its amazing as you stand there drying them how much coat comes out! :o
I have included a page of the dryers we personally use at the grooming shop...others on the board may refer you to other dryers and brands...but, these are all I am familiar with. They are compact enough to carry easiely, they do not blow hot air (they do not have a setting for hot air-you don't need or want any high velocity which blows hot air as you have to hold the nozzle as close to the skin as possible) you can easiely dry a dog for hours with no worries, they are made to use around water...so alot of the time we blow dry the dogs partially in the tub before putting them on the grooming table, most dryers have 2 speeds...the low speed we use on small dogs and on big dogs face area the high speed is great for med-large dogs,

[url]http://www.groomerschoice.com/dryers_double-k.html[/url]

Hope this helps.

I meant to mention on the web site I posted the 2 dryers we use are the Challengair Air max and the Challengeair 2000AD....the first 2 pictures.
I would defenitely be looking for simular models as what I posted...with the long nozzle. You could check with your local groomers to see if they know any where locally you could buy one, or they may even have a used one you could buy at a low cost.

Thanks for the info Cassie, it was very helpful.

I have asked around locally and looked up types that I can get here in Australia and there seems to be a big price difference. They seem to start at about AUD $380.00 :o

The 2000AD seems to be exactly what I am after so I might order one from the US and get it shipped over since that would be cheaper than buying one locally. US $150.00 is approx. AUD $220.00.

I did want to ask you what they were like reliability wise though. Do you have to take them back for services etc or have the ones you have used needed to go back for repairs etc. If I do get one from the US I won't really be able to just take it back if it needs to be repaired.

Hopefully you can find a local dealer who has resonable prices. The 2000AD is the dryer I use most. We groom about 14 dogs daily and we have 2 of these dryers. As far as I know the owner of the facility has not had required service to either dryer and they are used daily...she does have one in the shop which the motor died in....but, it is an older machine. If you are just going to be using one on your own dog I don't think you would have to worry to much about servicing. Just make sure when you get your dryer no matter the brand it is to keep the motor area free of dog hair...some dryers have a filter on the outside which will not allow hair in...its usually a foam type filter you can remove, but others do not have any and the hair gets inside the dryer....this can burn out your motor.
Good Luck, you will love it once you get the dryer. You can even bath and blow dry double coated breeds and short coated breeds such as Lab's etc which require no styling and make a few extra bucks to cover the cost of the dryer...that is if you have a set up to do a few dogs. :wink: