Dogomania

Leash Aggression

midori115

I could use some advice. This started maybe two weeks ago, but has gotten more frequent. When Oscar and I are out he's always on leash except at the park where it's fenced in. He has been socialized since he was tiny and loves to play with dogs and people. He's great at the dog park and usually anyone and any dog can approach him.

But occasionally he will decide he doesn't like the looks of someone and his hair goes up and he growls and barks and he's up on his back legs. It also happens with other leashed dogs. This happens at night and when I am walking him. He has never done this when Zack is holding the leash.

I am the one who does his daily walks and I feed him and I take him to obedience classes -- he does listen to me well. I will bring it up to our trainer, but we won't see her for another two weeks. I do try to correct him with a tug on the leash and a NO .... but it usually takes a while to get him calmed down and into a sit.

sorry this got so long, but any suggestions? I don't want my puppy to think this is acceptable .... Most of my neighbors are terrified of him anyway ......

One thing that a lot of people I know do is to teach the dog to look at them when it sees a strange dog or person. With a pup, sometimes if you just ignore the behaviour and dont' reward it in any way they will stop on their own.

I wonder if you are sneding "signals" down the leash to him? Are the people that he reasts to scary looking to YOU? If they look like "bad guys" to you, you could very well be sending him signals that there is something to worry about. Do you tighten up on the leash when you see these people?
Sorry for all of the questions. :D Also what breed is he?

You could be right .... the neighborhood is not great and it's usually the sketchy guys hanging out on the street that he freaks out on. I try to ignore them, but I do end up watching them -- to make sure they're not coming my way ....

as to breed .... I'm taking suggestions ..... we got him from the spca when he was about 4 weeks old and they said boxer/shepherd, but that was only a guess because they found the litter in a dumpster .... he may have some boxer, some pit, some RR .... I could go on ....

and I don't mind the questions. Talking about Oscar is my favorite thing.

well, I really do think he knows who's ok and who's not. and to be quite honest, a bit of an attitude doesn't bother me -- I feel safer.

But it's a bit out of control. Not that I can't hold him, but I just don't really know what to do. I can't go walking on the street and having him lunge and bark at ALL the scary looking men -- he'd never stop :o

Guest Anonymous

My work with Zaphod and his socialization has progressed to where he usually only gets skittish when on lead - the trainer explained that for some dogs being on lead makes them nervous as they are restrained and not free to act. If I introduce Zaphod to another dog while the other dog is loose and Zaphod is on lead he gets downright hostile, if both dogs are on lead he is just skitty, if Zaphod is off lead (in a safe place) he is much better but opportunities to do this are limited. Any chance Oscar might be reacting the same way? The trainer has given us the standerd suggestions, lots of on lead walks, treats when meeting new dogs etc.

[quote]You could be right .... the neighborhood is not great and it's usually the sketchy guys hanging out on the street that he freaks out on. I try to ignore them, but I do end up watching them -- to make sure they're not coming my way ....
[/quote]

Dogs know when we are afraid.....obviously, that's being transmitted to
him while u walk him. Apparently Zack, who I assume is a male who can handle himself, is not showing fear.

This is NOT necesssarily a bad thing. You are bringing him up well. In the pack, his job is to protect you if the Alpha is not around. If you are out without Zack, he then feels the need to make sure you are ok. If he feels your fear, and Zack is not there to protect you, he will do what he can
to make sure nothing happens to the Alpha Female....

This is not a bad thing. Providing he doesnt get above himself and try to attack anyone, it's ok. He is telling you, triggered by your fear, that he
will look after you.

In the pack, ALL the members protect, nuture and help the Alpha female.
She is the only one allowed to have pups, with some exceptions, and the strength of the pack relies on her being safe.

GOOD DOG!!!