Dogomania

I'm a newbie with a sick dog.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My name is Mary. A friend from another board recommended this board to me. Alexis says you're all friendly and knowledgable...so, I've got questions!
I have a yellow lab named Linus. He'll be 2 on Christmas Eve. He is such a wonderful compainion! On Monday, we took him to the vet because he was limping. The vet felt his legs and thought it might be hip dysplasia on his left hip. I know how debilitating this can be for a dog, so it obviously an upsetting day. Tuesday, we took him in for some x-rays. While both hips look fine, he's got some inflamation around the left knee. We'll be seeing an orthopedic surgeon soon for a better diagnosis. So, since the x-rays looked fine for the hips, are we in the clear for dysplasia? Or could he still have that with an additional knee problem?
On Tuesday, the dr perscribed Esogesic (an NSAID in the same category as aspirin) for pain. I gave Linus one on Tuesday night, and within a half hour, he had diarrhea pretty bad. I haven't given him more, but the diarrhea persists. He's obviously unhappy and uncomfortable. It's breaking my heart to see him like this. Yesterday, he had a small dinner, and I haven't fed him since then due to the stomach problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[quote]So, since the x-rays looked fine for the hips, are we in the clear for dysplasia? Or could he still have that with an additional knee problem? [/quote]
If the xrays have been done and the didn't find HD he hasn't got it. In HD the hip socket is not formed correctly, does not cup the hips ball correctly and is apparent in xrays. HD btw is a managable ailment as is arthritis etc. Best of luck with your pup, let us know how it turns out.

That is true. If the x-rays showed clean hips, than that should be fine. About the meds, i would deffintly not give that med anymore. I know that here is a great joint medication called Rymidal, or Rimadyl, something of that nature, im not sure of the spelling. Your doctor may perscribe this. From what i here side effects are possible theoritcal liver damage, and/or kidney damage. In the year i have been working at the vets office, i have seen around 2 or 3 of these. I know there is some new medication out that starts with a D, dromiear, something like that maybe... And i think that that might be good joint/pain medication.
I hope this helps
Good Luck with your puppy
Zac