Dogomania

Meat and Kibble

stacer126

Solid Gold makes a kibble which is designed for short term diet OR regular diet when mixed with meat. I did it for a while and my dogs loved it. The kibble - Holitique or something has excellent ingredients but is shy on meat and calories. I never had a problem mixing but if you are adding a fair portion of meat to a dog food that already has enough protien and calories you may be loading on the protien and cals. If you have a young active dog this may not be a problem for a while. If you are just going to add a wee bit to flavour or get the dog ready for a more BARF/RAW diet then I don't see a problem though. If the kibble is low in protien/meat etc then definately go ahead.

She is on Hills perscription for large breed. We get it from the vet but i'm not sure she likes it. SHe had a problem with Pro Plan. I just want to give her a little to make it more exciting.

She has lots of energy and she gets a good run everyday, about 30 mins off leash in a school yard. SO maybe the extra protein will be good for her. I hate giving her just kibble.

Guest Anonymous

does your dog have health problems or why is she on a prescription diet?

if she is healthy, get her off the food as soon as you can and buy a quality brand. hills pays vets a lot to recommend their garbage, and they also have a profit margin of about 40% from selling it. look at the ingredient list and you will find out it is a lousy quality food that contains a lot of corn. pro plan is no better.

you can supplement kibble with meat, and also don't forget some finely minced or blended fruits and veggies, and a bit of plain yoghurt with live cultures now and then.

once you have used up the kibble, buy a quality brand. look for a food that contains no meat byproducts and digests etc., no or very little fragmented grains or flours (like brewer's rice, rice flour, corn meal, etc.).

if you want to learn about canine nutrition, no matter what breed of dog you own, the following site is a great place to start. the author of the articles is a great dane breeder, but any dog will benefit from a good feeding regimen:

[url]http://greatdanelady.com/articles/which_dog_food_do_I_feed.htm[/url]

Yes, raw meat is great for dogs, but don't mix it in the same meal as the kibble. Give them a couple of hours apart, as kibble is designed to digest more slowly and if fed with meat can cause the meat to sit around in the stomach and go rancid, making the dog very ill. It is also not recommended to feed different types of meat in the one meal, maybe steak one day and chicken the next?

SHe is not interested in her kibble at all. I tryed it with warm water (they say that is like a stew) ans even with some raw carrots and she didn't care. This may be another big bag of food donated to our local animal shelter. I'll have to do some research on raw diet.

Has anyone read "Give your dog a bone"? I keep hearing good reviews.

"Give Your Dog a Bone" is a great book I would reccommend to anyone considering raw, I havn't read it myself but most of the email lists I'm in use it and with great results.
I'm a believer in that the sooner you ditch the kibble the better, but if you do want to use the bag up you could try sprinkling some grated cheese on it, or mixing some yoghurt through. I've heard of dogs choking of soggy kibble, so I wouldn't reccomend the soaking... actually I've heard of dogs choking on dry kibble too so I don't know what to say about that!!!
If she still doesn't like it, I'm sure the shelter would be very grateful of your generous donation :wink:

They were very happy to get the last bag. I would rather give it to them anyway. I am going to use the grated cheese idea for now. Actually she has an upset stomach and she is going to get boiled hamburger and white rice to help her get regular.

I found a place called Bone Appetit and they are in the same city as me and they make the BARF Diet for you and special for your dog breed etc. so I e-mailed them looking for prices and information. Maybe I could start that after her stomach gets a bit better.

[quote name='stacer126']I found a place called Bone Appetit and they are in the same city as me and they make the BARF Diet for you and special for your dog breed etc. so I e-mailed them looking for prices and information. Maybe I could start that after her stomach gets a bit better.[/quote]

How do you mean about special for your dog breed? Hmmm, sounds interesting.....