Dogomania

Show and Agility training help

atghylin

Greetings! :)

In March my husband and I adopted a 6 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Felix was fully house-broken at the time. THANK GOD! I have taken him through an obideance course, which he did wonderful in. I just have a few problems.

1) I would like to be able to attend dog shows and agility trials with him. I have contacted my local dog club with no luck. :( They were supposed to call me back when an agility training class took place this summer. They have not!

2) I grew up in the miliatary and have had no chances presented to me to work in junior clubs like 4-H. I'm not saying they weren't there, it's just that they were never presented to me. Therefore, I'm a first time exhibitor with NO training in the area myself. I was hoping to ask someone in the local club to help teach me to train Felix. As they have not contacted me back all summer I have been left to my own devices. i.e. books and internet

3) I would love to learn from books if I could find the right books. However, although we have a Hastings in this town, it does not have a good selection of books to choose from. Everytime I attempt to order a book, whose title I found online, from them it never arrives. Those books are always on back order. :x

4) My biggest problem is I'm stuck in a farming cummunity that is big on the hunting breeds. I'm not saying anything's wrong them, grew up with a Britany. It's just that everyone whos sees Felix falls in love with the beautiful Cocker Spaniel-Terrier mix. He's a pure-bred Cavalier King Charles Spaniel! The more time passes the less people I find who know what breed of dog I have and who are willing to take the time to help me if I ask.

This forum is my last hope for finding the help I need. Please, if any of you can help me find the books or web-sites with plenty of pictures and details on training Felix in agility and show, HELP! I'm getting desperate! :-?

Amanda and Felix

Okay, I can help with the agility part! :D

Agility is a great thing to do with your dog, it really will stregthen your bond. :D A great book to take a look at is Introduction to Dog Agility by Margaret H. Bonham. I ordered it off Amazon, and it came within a couple weeks. It's a great book, full of nice color photos. Plus lots of great info. :D Some good web sites are:
[url]http://www.dogpatch.org/agility/[/url]
[url]http://www.cleanrun.com[/url]
If u have any specific questions u want to ask me, I'd be more than happy to help. :D

The Clean Run website is excellent for a lot of different reasons. The sell a multitude of agility related items. I've ordered from them frequently and never run into "out of stock". They also have an "agility events page" where you can search your state to see if there are any agility trials nearby. If you find some, go and watch....you can learn a lot just by watching.

Clean Run also publishes the only monthly agility magazine in the US. An excellent magazine that can help with training at any level.

If you go to my kid's website and click on the "agility" page, you'll find a bunch of agility links about halfway down the page. (Sorry...just too lazy to copy and paste them all here.) There are links to various agility organizations, equipment vendors, training tips.

BTW, if you haven't done so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to contact the dog club you spoke with again. "Stuff" sometimes happens and return calls aren't made. This may be an oversight and, unless you've already followed up with them, I wouldn't give up on them. The club I'm an instructor for has an incredibly long waiting list for new students so, sometimes it takes quite a while to get in.

Thank you both so much! :lol: Your suggestions have been very helpful.

Nancy, your websit was the most informatitive I've seen yet. Thank you for putting your training techniques on it. I hope Felix and I will be able to use them as successfully has you have.

[quote name='atghylin']Thank you both so much! :lol: Your suggestions have been very helpful.

Nancy, your websit was the most informatitive I've seen yet. Thank you for putting your training techniques on it. I hope Felix and I will be able to use them as successfully has you have.[/quote]

You're very welcome! I did that because I've fielded a lot of questions from Dobe owners so, it saved me writting it up every time I got a question. Glad it helped you!

I hope you and Felix have a great time with agility! I used to have a CKCS in one of my classes, dog and handler were a great team. I was very sorry when they moved out of town but, I do get to see them at the occasional agility trial.