Dogomania

Odd behavior: Obsessive licking and grass eating

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Tonight, my dog began to lick the air and carpet obsessively. No amount of water or food would calm her down. The only thing that worked is taking her outside and she chomped on some grass for several minutes. I have read that some dogs eat grass to calm their stomachs. I didn't let her eat much b/c I was nervous about pesticides and fertilizers.
This has only happened once before and she gets really agitated while she is licking the air. Any ideas what could be going on?

Guest Anonymous

Your dog might have some kind of defficiency. Some nutrient or mineral could be missing from its diet. Or it might just be some odd quirk your dog has.

Eating grass is pretty normal...but, to be going through a period of being obsessive about it and licking air is not normal behavior.
I would definately make and appointment with the Vet and have a complete physical and possible blood work done...although it may be nothing its better to be safe than sorry...
IMO any abnormal behavior could signify a problem...I have always taken my dogs in when they are not acting themselves....

Ask the vet. I took mine in and had him boarded for a few days while we went on vacation. I asked them to keep him under observation for this and he never did it while there. Blood work was done and showed no problems. Do ask your vet about it but they still may not find a reason. I had many dogs and this is the first time I have had one do this, I have wondered if it was maybe food particals around his mouth, hair in his mouth or maybe OCD. But hey, I had 3 kids and one sucked his thumb so maybe it's a comfort thing.

My ACD does this. Hers is contributed to what we consider post nasal drip. She has allergies and at times they get real bad and her throat gets all gooky and stuff. She will try to eat grass (I think) in hopes that it will help get rid of (wash down) the post nasal drip...of course these episodes improve when she eats her dry food but comes back quickly.

Needless to say, my ACD, is on allergy medicine and this has significantly reduced these episodes.

• 3 years later...

I have a carpet licker, in fact she licks her pillow, the sofa, just about anything she lays on. It kind of seems like a pacifier for her. She licks awhile and then settles down and goes to sleep. Just one of her quirks. Grass eating is fairly normal. My vet says they like the taste of grass sometimes.