Dogomania

adopted a "senior" with howling problems

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Willow is a 9 year old Chihauhau mix. She suffers from cataracts, a heart murmer, extremely poor teeth, and some possible disc problems in her back. She is the sweetest dog in the world - never barks, is obviously house trained, and a cuddle bug to boot. Nonetheless, I am at my wits end.

Willow howls whenever we leave. My neighbors have complained about this, and as we live in a condo, I'm not sure what to do. She stops as soon as we get home, so correcting her is difficult. She doesn't start when we leave - I'm not sure how long it takes her to start crying, but I am under the impression that she can keep it up for hours.

I've tried toys - but she just isn't interested in any of them. I've tried treats, but she won't touch them (ie - kong filled with peanut butter). Hard, dry treats won't work because of her teeth. We keep the TV on and the lights on when we leave and also close the windows so that passerbys won't disturb her. Recently we've tried crating her, but she still howls - although it is obvious she likes her crate as she goes in it readily. I've been thinking about a citronella collar, but don't know if it will work as she howls - and doesn't bark. Does anyone know if they work for howlers? Also, are they returnable?

Willow isn't left alone for long periods of time - the longest has been 6 hours during the day once. The howling is worse at night - which is of concern because at the end of the month my husband and I will both be in classes again two nights a week for about 6-7 hours. I love this little sweetie - but don't know what to do!

[b]Training, as K suggested, is definately the way to go[/b], [color=red]but if you are concerned about being evicted in the near future[/color], the collars may work. There are three kinds - electric, high pitch sound and citronella. First off the electric one would likely be way too much for a little dog. I think of the other two the high pitch sound [i]might [/i] work better but you know your dog best. Most of the collars work by vibration (this stops one dog from setting off another dogs collar, however if the dog runs down stairs jarringly the collar may go off.) They are to be used periodically, as in, not worn all day but it sounds like you just need yours when your out so that should work ok. Howling does cause vibration but not as much as barking so you may need to get a sensitive unit. All the pet supply stores I have dealt with have a good return policy and the only restriction you may have with this product is that you may not be able to return it after a certain time period. Good luck.

Here is an article for your review...you may want to consult with your Vet regarding some behavior modification med's such as I have posted below.

[url]http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1275&articleid=1318[/url]

Have you though about perhaps getting another pet to keep your new addition company??? perhaps a kitten or another small dog???? this may be out of the question but I just thought I would mention it..it could help ease the lonliness for your little pal....the pet sitter would also be a good idea. Where your dog is older and has been placed in a new home the seperation aniexity can be worse...it is quite common with dogs who have been placed in new homes or have gone from home to home.

Guest Anonymous

I did some research last night and found that anti-barking collars, when used to deal with seperation anxiety, can cause the behavior to worsen. It looks like I'll be spending the next 3 weeks working building up the amount of time I can be gone from the house. I suppose I better do it at all times of the day, considering Willow will be alone late at night until 10 - 10:30 when my husband and I are in class.

I think I will try taping her while I'm gone to see what I can find out about her behavior. This is trickier than dealing with a destructive dog, because you don't know whats going on while you're gone.

We thought about another animal, but my husband is severely allergic to cats (much to my dismay) and I am concerned that another dog might not work out. I would hate to have two pups on my hands that exacerbate each others barking/howling problems.

I suppose as a final option we might try a doggie day care facility. I didn't realize that there are places you can leave your puppy until late at night or over night. I assume this is the same as boarding you puppy while on vacation?

We don't really have anyone that is available to come and dog-sit in the evenings twice a week - although it wouldn't hurt to start looking. Talk about seperation anxiety. I'm suffering from it too - I stress out about the noise she might be making at home and can't enjoy my time away now. Argh.

I'll let you know how it all turns out.

It would be nice if you could get some one to come in and "pet sit" your new addition. It would be difficult for an older dog with problems such as you mentioned to go to a day care facility..and I'm not sure if any of them offer services for the evening...at least not in my area they don't. I work at a boarding facility (plus a Vet clinic & grooming facility) alot of younger dogs do very well at the boarding facility...but, some older dogs get pretty stressed...I would just be worried as you mentioned your dog has a heart murmer (a supplement you can add to stenthen the heart is Co-Q10)..the only bonus would be is that your neighbors would not have to listen to the howling.
With a newly adopted dog such as yours I would also try to leave a peice of clothing down for him as a bed...clothing that you have worn recently which still has your scent on it...this may ease your dogs lonliness while you are gone...put this in his crate and it may give him a little more security...I have even heard of people taping their own voices in a conversation and letting it play for their dog while they are gone...I don't know how well this will work...but, its worth a try. :wink:
The only time I had to deal with seperation aniexity was at one time I was down to one dog (I'd had to have 2 put down due to old age) she was never left on her own before and developed arual lick dermentitis caused from the stress of being alone (she didn't bark or howl, just self mutilated herself) I got 3 more dogs - problem solved! :lol:

You might try those devices that beeps or whatever when the dog makes sound. They are designed for your neighbor's dog--you set them at the fence so that when their dog vocalizes, it makes noise and supposedly startles them into silence.
I almost NEVER give this sort of advice...but perhaps another animal (such as a cat or another dog) would end this. It sounds like her howling is an extension of her loneliness. I had one pup (when I was a kid) who would howl indiscriminately at all hours. She would eat, but barely looked up. She moved so little we warned visitors not to trip over what might appear to be a pair or shoes or a sweater...it was actually the dog. One day, she caught sight of another dog and her entire face lit up, her tail wagged, and when we got a friend for her, she never howled again...it was amazing what another of her kind could do for her spirits.