Dogomania

New to Clicker Training

schippsmom

:Dog_run:

OK, who out there clicker trains? Would you be willing to help someone else learn? I've been told by several trainers it's the way to go but I'm having problems finding a GOOD book on where to begin. Any one have any info/advice to give someone new to clicking?

[quote name='schippsmom']:Dog_run:

OK, who out there clicker trains? Would you be willing to help someone else learn? I've been told by several trainers it's the way to go but I'm having problems finding a GOOD book on where to begin. Any one have any info/advice to give someone new to clicking?[/quote]

"Clicker Training For Obedience" by Morgan Spector and read this Dogomania thread [url]http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=5918[/url]

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I recently signed my Jeb up for agility. Before that, I had never used a clicker. After the first class the instructor gave us homework. What we had to do was get some treats, i think she said like 20, but im not sure, but you want to start with something soft, pupperoni, hot dogs, cat treats like pounce. While watching tv, wait for a commerical. Once it starts, just start clicking and treating, do that through the whole commercial, then stop.
After the first night, do it again, and gradually work up to a few times. It will take no time at all until your pup learns that clicking is a good thing.
Jeb was actually afraid of the clicker, but only for a few minutes, now he can be anywhere in the house, but once he hears it, hes right by my side.

Good luck!!!!! :D

I would like to use a clicker with Felix and have been researching the idea for sometime now. But I have one problem with it...

All my life I have been told not to train with treats. This is a rule that my mom strictly enforced and I am having a hard time breaking it. Call operate conditioning as a child if you will, but I can't break this rule no matter how hard I think about it. I even went out and bought treats for Felix's training but I keep forgetting to give them to him except after dinner as I grew up doing.

To me clicker training sounds like a wonderful alternative to treat training. But couldn't I just praise him after I click? I only praised him during obediance training, still do. He's already used to it as his personal reward.

Amanda

Guest Anonymous

Here are some wonderful links to clicker training sites. That I personally use, and find work for me...maybe they will help you out as well.

Click and Treat:

[url]http://www.clickandtreat.com/[/url]

The BEST clicker training site, IMO...

American Dog Trainer Network "Clicker Training"

[url]http://www.inch.com/%7Edogs/clicker.html[/url]

Clicker Training.com with Karen Pryor:

[url]http://www.clickertraining.com/home/index.htm[/url]

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

... with my new Blue Lacy puppy that I bought in September. C/T Training is really incredible. The past 3 days I used a variant of "100 Things to Do With a Box". I decided I wanted Chula to sit in the box. She's 3.5 months old, a wiggly 20# ball of energy. Just imagine trying to 'force' a puppy like this to sit in a box & learn to do it on command!! How long do you think it would take? A month or two? Well, it took 2.5 days using the clicker (& WAYYYYY less than an hour's worth of time). That's what's so wonderful! AND.... she enjoys sitting in the box waiting for her treat.

The first day I put the box down (the sides are about 6" high) Chula looked at it, sniffed it, & then I began throwing treats in the box. As she put first one front foot, then the other inside, I began to C/T her. I stopped throwing the treats into the box as soon as she seemed to be doing it intentionally. Then I waited until she was 1/2 way standing in the box. Then she had to have all 4 paws in the box. This took probably 10 minutes. Then we quit.

The next night she started right out with 2 paws in the box. AFter several tries, she got all 4 paws in the box. Then she suddenly just sat down in the box! JACKPOT! Woohoo -- we had a party. She was the best dog in the world!!!!! We quit for that night. (total time: less than 10 minutes -- probably 5-7).

The third night, I got the box out & she was all excited. "YEA -- Mom's coming with that box & that means treats for me!!!" I could see her think. I threw the box down in front of her, & she put 2 paws in. I just waited. I could see the wheels turning: how did I get the jackpot last night???? Oh, yes -- I SAT in this box. She hopped in & sat; I C/T. She jumped out to get her treat (I have to throw the treat so she moves or she'll hold a pose indefinitely!) She jumped back in & looked at me: "Where's my treat Mom?" We did this 5-7 more times & then I started adding a command "IN". Now I point to the box, say "IN" & she jumps in! Total time: 10 minutes.

I LOVE clicker training!!