Dogomania

Poodle People Please Help!

yellowlabsrule

This is the info I have so far...

Standard Poodles...
What's good about 'em...
What's bad about 'em

If you want a dog who:

Is both elegant and athletic, lively and happy, moving with a light, graceful, springy gait
Is one of the smartest, most capable and trainable, most attentive of all breeds
Is so intuitive, and such a skilled reader of body language and expression, that he often appears telepathic
Doesn't shed -- one of the best breeds for allergy sufferers
Is usually polite with strangers and sociable with other animals
A Standard Poodle may be right for you.

If you don't want to deal with:

Regular brushing and combing, and clipping every month
Providing plenty of mental stimulation (training and other organized activities) to prevent boredom and associated mischief
Extreme sensitivity, skittishness, and highstrung temperaments in some lines, or when not socialized enough
A multitude of serious health problems
All the unknowledgeable breeders producing unsound structure, genetic health problems, and hyperactive, nervous temperaments
A Standard Poodle may not be right for you.

Yellow, I think my input may be a bit disappointing. I mean, I've only really gotten involved with Standard Poodles fairly recently and even still, the ones I'm involved with are rescues. What you posted above seems accurate from what I know. Like with any breed, finding a reputable breeder is important. Temperament and all that.

My personal opinions (which are similar to those listed above)...

Pros~ Standards are outgoing and fun. Very intelligent. I don't say this because I'm a fan. No, I readily admit that some of my other beloved dogs are ummm lacking in mental capacity. Standards, to me, are brilliant. They train so easily and are eager to please. They're athletic and elegant. Also, I do like the fact that I never, ever find Poodle hair embedded in my furniture or floors.

Cons~ Maintenance will be costly or time consuming (depending on if you're the do it yourself kind, or not). One needs to take into account the costs/time requirements of maintaining these coats, even if just kept in a short trim. You might want to contact whichever groomer you plan to use (or start looking) to find out the costs of regular grooming maintenance if you won't be doing it yourself (and it is a lot of work!). Also, Standards seem to be prone to ear problems. Regular maintenance (and careful breeding, I imagine) are very important for ear health. As far as hyperactive and nervous, a decent Standard should never be. I mean, even the poorly bred ones (conformation) I've seen around here at least have wonderful, stable temperaments. I reckon it goes back to finding a decent breeder.

I'm not sure of what all diseases or disorders they, as a breed, can be predisposed to since I'm not really involved with the more knowledgeable show people. I expect to know more as I get more involved in Poodle rescue, but, again, I'm still a relatively new "convert." You'd probably be better off asking someone who is active in the show scene and knows the breed inside out. I know that they can be prone to bloating. Also, I've known several Standards (including this new rescue we just got) who have seizures. I don't know if it's a problem in the breed, or if we just have a high incidence of it in this area. Our new member with the Poodles may know more about it.

I guess the best thing I can say is to check with the breed clubs and talk to the people who are active with them.

I wish I could help you out more, Yellow. All I can do is tell you why *I* love them. They're just so much fun and such happy dogs. They will do anything to please once the light has gone on in their heads. When my current gang has all gone on, I imagine I will always have a few Standards around. I can't think of a single thing about them I don't like. We just "click."

Good luck either way. I hope, if it's what's meant to be, y'all find the perfect Standard for you!

I don't own a standard but I can tell you what I have seen.

If you get a nicely bred one: you will get one of the best dogs that you could ever want. They are athletic ( I actually have a standard in the flyball class that I teach and he is sweet), very smart, socialable, easily trained, and are CLOWNS...

Now if you get one from a less than reputable breeder: health problems-ear infections, seizures, hip problems, eye problems, slipped discs in the back, allergies....bad temperament-aggressive, timid...not a smart cookie, destructive, hard to train, etc....

Grooming is a pain...I have a small mini poodle and I am paying $45 every 6 weeks to get him groomed (he only weighs 8.7 lbs)--grooming is not cheap

Of course all this could be said about just any breed. I like the Standards but you need to be careful about a breeder. The poodle was overbred alot and there are just some bad apples (but again this is the same for most breeds)...

Now, I am also someone who is against the AKC so my idea of a reputable breeder may be different than yours. I go out of my way to find non-AKC dogs. When it comes to the poodle of any size I would ask to meet the parents, make sure to see heath certifs, and really pay attention to the temperament of the parents and puppies. My poodle's breeder is a BYB by most people standards but let me tell you he is one of the best mini poodles I have seen in a long time. His breeder breeds for temperament and health first and looks second. Even folks who don't like poodles have fallen in love with mine. The vets say he has the best temperament for a poodle that they have seen in years...to me that says his breeder is pretty good.