Dogomania

A Show Dog eh?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

okay, I've been reading through here about everyone showing their dogs and it's really got me interested! I know Hazel could never be showed (is that the proper term? :lol: I'm so blind when it comes to showing!!), but I'd be interested for the future maybe (which I don't know if I'd be able to wait if I get too interested! LOL But nope, can't get another dog now *keep repeating this Shara*, mom and dad won't allow it unless I get rid of Hazel (which I WILL NOT, and COULD NOT do!) plus I'll be getting another dog in a few years, so I don't think I'd be able to handle THREE dogs when I move out! :o But, I got a few questions... Just like... curiosity? :lol:

1. How old can a dog show up until?
2. How do you get involved in showing your dog?
3. What basic obediance does your dog need to know?
4. How does someone go about looking for a "show quality" dog?

Thanks! :D

1) they have classes for pupies to be entered 6 months/up to a year /
18 months, next it's adult classes male and female, vetern for over 8 years I don't think there is an upper limit any age over 6 months can be shown.
2) They have training classes "ring craft" Where very young dogs start to learn how to stand ect
3) just basic, enough to get by
4) tell the breeder you would like to show, the puppy will be about 4 months old before they know it's got a reasonable chance.

I did not intend to buy a show dog, the puppies where just under 4 months
when we asked about classes meaning basic training a good breeder of show dogs asked us to take the puppies to see her.
It was a misunderstanding she told us the night and time of the classes when we went we discoverd she had sent us to ring craft. She had noticed Paddy was show quality. :D

1) No age limit. There was a dog at the last show who was 9.
2) Find a good breeder who is willing to be your mentor. I lucked out when the first person I tried to buy a pet Shiba from happened to be the #1 ranked show breeder. She decided I needed a show dog, and it's all gone, er...downhill from there. :lol: She's patient, gives me "lessons", and takes me to shows. I think a mentor is invaluable. When you get your puppy, you can take it to matches which are no point practice shows and there are handling classes as well.
3) Basic is fine, but I know a lot of dog that aren't trained at all. All they do is walk on the lead and stand still. A lot of people will also tell you not to teach the dog to sit because then it will sit in the ring. I think this is outdated and taught my dog both sit and stand so he knows the difference.
4) Again, find a good breeder and tell them you are interested in showing. Since show quality can be really expensive - $2500 for a Shiba - a co-ownership can make the price reasonable and you get to keep the dog after it has finished it's championship.

Guest Anonymous

[b]1. How old can a [u]dog [/u]show up until? [/b] [color=violet]No age limit! yay! The [u]dog [/u]just has to be [i]alive[/i] *nods*[/color]

[b]2. How do you get involved in showing your [u]dog[/u]?[/b] [color=violet]by going to [url]www.akc.org[/url][/color]

[b]3. What basic obediance does your dog need to know?[/b] [color=violet]to stand still and be calm when strangers touch him.[/color]

[b]4. How does someone go about looking for a "show quality" [u]dog[/u]?[/b] [color=violet]locate a breed club web site or go to a dog show. you can find [u]dog [/u]shows in your area at [url]www.infodog.com[/url] or [url]www.akc.org[/url][/color]

IM: pyrlesscirrus with questions :)[/url]

Guest Anonymous

Thanks!
Yeah... I don't plan on doing this now... *REPEAT TO SELF* I CAN'T!!!! But I REALLY want to now! LOL :lol: GEEZ guys, Look what you did!! :evil:

Guest Anonymous

If you are under 18 (which I assume, but if I am wrong please let me know) you can show any dog that is purebred and reconginized by the AKC in Jr. Showmanship. Once people find out that you are handling, they might ask you to handle their dogs. That is how I got into it. I have only shown my 7 month Beagle in 2 shows (first time handling for me), in which we have gotten Best of Variety and Best of Winners. People saw us in the ring and watched this little puppy beat out some older dogs and now I am lined up to show a 13 inch female and male, plus my own 15 inch for shows every weekend next month! Now I am a "handler", not just handling my own dogs, but other peoples too.
Everyone seems to have answered your questions, but if you are interested in handling, go to a show and let breeders know you want to get into handling. If you are indeed under 18, see if a breeder who is local will let you handle a finished, retired dog in Jrs. That way you get the experience, without needing to get another dog!

Guest Anonymous

Oops, just realized you are in Canada. Contact the CKC to see if they offer Jr. Showmanship too. Also go to shows and get your name out there!

Guest Anonymous

I don't know if the CKC is around HERE! I *Litterally* live in the middle of BC, in a VERY small town. There's a show two hours away in Prince George in July though, so I'm guna go! :D
Yeah, I'm only 15 y/o too...
and WELCOME too! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe you could offer to help a breeder out at his or her shows? I went to a show a couple of weeks ago to lend Macy's breeder a hand -- holding the dogs while she was in the ring with another, helping her groom, etc. It was a good way to dip my toe in! Plus, you'll meet lots of other breeders and learn lots.