Dogomania

retired greyhounds

science_doc

Guest Anonymous

OH! Crap! No info from me, but I wish you would have said something earlier. This past weekend I was at PetCo and there were 3 greyhounds there.....I was all hopped up on muscle relaxers and talking like crazy to all the owners and dogs. :roll: I could have asked! :lol:

Gigi, the whole idea for a greyhound came up because I have been hauting the local pet-co and pet smart meeting as many rescues as possible and I ran into a greyhound rescue. Those dog were SO calm, I was really taken by their quiet, inquisitive nature. While I was there chating, a little bitty dog came up to them and started barking it's little head off. All the greyhounds turned their heads, but not one of them twitched a muscle. I also spent some time talking to them about cat safety and I really like that their dogs have been cat tested. I know that this is no guarantee, but they send the dog home with a muzzle for the first interaction.....all of this makes me feel safe. But I have still not settled on any one breed....I think that what Horesefeathers said is probably what will happen, someday we'll meet the right dog and we'll just know that's the dog for us.

Guest Anonymous

I agree with what HF said.....just kinda like when you first meet your "forever partner"...you just know.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!! And keep us posted OR ELSE!

A really good friend of mine just adopted a retired greyhound. He's fawn colored, 2 years old, male. I could ask her about her dog. They're supposed to be sensitive, sweet, elegant, brave and loyal, but willful. I heard that the smallest things can be challenging for them, such as learning to climb stairs because most of the retired dogs ar at least 2 years old, without ever seeing stairs in their entire life time.

This is a description from [url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com[/url]
The Greyhound is very [b]intelligent[/b], but its character is often undervalued because of its [b]reserved behavior toward its master and toward strangers[/b]. [b]Socialize them at an early age to prevent timidity[/b]. As a rule, they are [b]gentle[/b] and [b]even-tempered - both racing lines and show lines[/b]. Most Greyhounds have a

An acquaintance of my husband's stopped by with his two rescued grayhounds one day a couple of summers ago. They had their heads hanging out of the SUV window and were friendly (our dogs were inside the fence, and very curious).

We asked him about the dogs. He said really loved them and was amazed by their speed. He put up a tall fence all the way around his house so they have a place to run and he takes them out to a friend's field every so often.

I was surprised when he said, "Well, when they run, they're like lightning, but the rest of the time they are the most laid back dogs I've ever seen! COUCH POTATOES TO THE MAX! He said when he arrives home he finds them on the couch. They manage to give him a feeble "oh hi!" look before going back to sleep. Very elegant looking dogs. :D

Okay, well you know how everybody says that their skin are like paper and rips easily. Well, how rough is too rough for them? Would their skin puncture if they were playing with other dogs and the other dogs bit him playfully (rough doggie play)? My dog will bite on to Cheetah's dog's neck and will pull and twist and stuff (wrestling). I really want to bring my dog over as a playmate for my friend's greyhound, but I don't want to cause any injuries to her dog.

Guest Anonymous

Beat me to it. :lol:

Also on my site, are links to greyhound rescue sites.

I have had dogs since I was seven years old, every one a different breed - and all but one, rescue dogs.

It was pure chance that I came to get my greyhound. And from the minute I saw her - I was smitten. They are the most wonderful breed of dog that you could ever hope to have share your life with.

They look fragile, but in actual fact, are tough as old boots. It does take some getting used to though, seeing them so thin.

The biggest problem with having a greyhound, is the fact that their legs can so easily break. And as most greys are ex racing dogs, they can be prone to arthritis in older age.

I always emphasize the fact that an ex racer has to be de trained, and re trained. But they are very loving and gentle natured dogs.

If anyone wants more information, just pm me - I will be pleased to help if I can.

I am on the books as a home checker for the Retired Greyhound Trust, and Greyhounds In Need. I also do an e mail advice line for The People And Dogs Society.

A greyhound is the perfect companion.
:lol:

since you're interested...... :megagrin: do you live near any dog tracks? i live about an hour and a half from a greyhound track, and they routinely adopt out greyhounds because they are often PTS after their careers are over (about 3 years of age). the price is very reasonable, no more than adopting from a shelter!!! jeremy and i are considering adopting a pair when we move! so, if you live next to a track you could save $$$ AND a dog's life by adopting!!

Did anybody else read the recent article about racing greyhounds? Behind a track (I'm not sure where), people found a pile of dog bones/skeletons. It's under investigation, because the dogs are supposed to be PTS in a certain manner, not throwing their carcuses in a heap (possibly burnt?). I hope the people who did that and thought they could get away with it are brought to justice. Rgggggg! :evil:

Guest Anonymous

Let us know if you find the perfect baby. I saw an episode of Emergency Vets where there was a greyhound rescue lady, and they had an adoption take place. Brought me to tears it was so good!

I looked into adopting a ex-racing greyhound but learned that they have basically zero body-fat and cannot tolerate cold weather very well. You basically have to dress them up if you're going to spend any amount of time outside in below-freezing weather. Kinda put a damper for us given its below freezing here 5 months out of the year.

Aside from that, I've read over and over again that they are fantastic dogs.

Guest Anonymous

Very true - greyhounds do not like the cold - but then, neither do I!!!

I kept the central heating on low during the night for my dogs, and I also purchased coats made from blanket material, from Greyhounds In Need, for my dogs to sleep in.

They had sheepskin type lined, waterproof coats for the winter, and fine plastic coats to wear when it was raining in the summer.

If there are greyhounds where you live, Eric, then they will be acclimatised to your weather.

I forgot to mention earlier, but racing greyhounds have stronger hearts than most breeds of dogs.