Dogomania

Help! TootsieRolls

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My daughter left her toosie rolls out and Frodo ate half of one. Is that enough chocolate to make him sick? What can I give him? I can't get ahold of my vet! He is 8 lbs. Help!!
Thanks,
Jess

Tootsie-rolls are a hard, chewy chocolate rolled into "log" shapes. the logs
have indents in them allowing you to break off pieces of the log and eat them little at a time. They take a long time to chew up.

How big was it? Was it one of the giganto ones, or the little 3 inch long ones? And how long ago did he eat it?

If you cant get the vet, and you're really concerned - you could give him a
1/2 teaspooon of syrup of ipacac - it's what they give kids who have swallowed something they shouldnt - it will make him throw up.
But if it was only half on one of the small ones, I wouldnt be too concerned. You could also call Poison Control in your area. They may be
able to give you the number for an emergence vet service, who will tell you on the phone exactly what you need to do.

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

My mom and I were talkin about this subject last night... About what is in Chocolate that makes it posioness to dogs, but I couldn't remember what it was! Thanks K for that great discription!

We had a Chihuahua once who ate two of those chocolate christmas callanders, my whole stocking of candy, and a bag of hershy's kisses! :o
I can't beleive she actually lived through it, though that was a close call!

If it was one of those small ones, I wouldn't worry about it either, small amounts (although sometimes it DOES happen) don't usually kill a dog. Although this doesn't mean you should go out and feed your dog a bit of chocolate either! :o

I had a schnauzer that used to eat my Halloween candy every year, chocolate and all. One Christmas she ate 1/2 lb of those chocolate mints, and all that happened was she barfed twice. We didn't even know that she had eaten them until we were cleaning up the mess and discovered it's minty freshness. This was before people knew it was toxic so she never even went to the vet. I would say she was one dog that didn't have a problem with it. :o

Guest Anonymous

A tootsie roll doesn't have enough chocolate in it to hurt the dog. Mainly sugar. Might get a bit hyper. I wouldn't worry. My cat ate half of a nestle choc bar and was fine. Tootsie rolls are flavored with chocolate. Shouldn't be a problem.

Guest Anonymous

Even if it was good for my pup, I STILL wouldn't share mine either! LOL I LOVE my chocolate! LOL :lol:
Unless it was GOOD FOR DOGS... then maybe I'd give her a little peice... LOL
(I mean even if it was really healthy for them sorta thing)