Dogomania

save the sleddies!!

mcobbin

hey guys..i was doing some searches and found this site. sled dogs in alaska are starving to death due to a salmon shortage, and owners are resorting to shooting their dogs as opposed to watching them starve to death. purina has shipped in food, but it is no where near enough...you can make donations. i made mine....if your interested follow this link:

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/onair/WorldNewsTonight/wnt001023_sled_dogs_feature.html[/url]

Yes, this is happening, and allot of other dog food manufacturers are helping as well. I've just gotten to work so as soon as i get my ducks in a row, I'll look up the addresss/contact if you want to help. BTW, these are usually not racing kennels that are involved, but indiginous peoples who u se their dogs for transportation and "getting by". Very sad, but mostly because of the diversion or damning of natural water ways and overfishing. :cry:

OK, I'm on break now and can think. I believe this was more of a problem last year- another reason that there is a problem is that it is illegal to feed wild game- (moose, caribou, deer to dogs in Alaska, even if it is road kill. And there is allot of road kill in Alaska, and the last I'd heard it all goes straight to the land fill-unused. A shame really- a natural "barf" food source that can't be used. Most of the people whose dogs were starving also lived so far from roads that once the dog food made it to Alaska it had to be flown in and air dropped. The salmon seem to be more plentiful this year from what I've heard from friends up there, so that's a good thing!

boy, THAT becomes a fuzzy line doesn't it :o ...i understand the reasoning behind making the feeding of wild game to sled dogs illegal. i suppose the powers that be fear the consequences of allowing wild game to serve as food stuff for the dogs. lowered herd populations, decreased numbers...going the way of the buffalo. but not even ROADKILL??? that's just a crying waste!! rotting in heaps while those poor owners have to shoot their own dogs..and transportation at that!! :o for lack of food?? i don't understand why alottments can't be made for difficult times. :cry: i realize that these people aren't close to roads, but it seems like if food can be shipped in all the way from the mainland down there, surely they can fire up a chopper and haul a dead moose out a couple hundred miles! i understand the reasoning behind the rules...don't get me wrong, but geez. i hope that the donations of everyone and my own pathetic self can make some difference :(