Dogomania

doesn't like to share...

adrienne

I have 2 puppies, Billy(4 mts. old Jack Eskimo) and Molly(10 wk. old shi-poo). Molly is new, and ever since the first day we brought her home they get along great. The ony problem with their relationship is that everytime Molly is playing with a toy or bone, Billy takes it away. This happens all the time and Molly will sometimes run after him to try and get it back, but it's useless... He is 14 lbs., and she's 3lbs., so he really has the size advantage. Usually he's very kind and gentle with her (he'll lay on his back and let her walk all over him and bite him) but I don't understand why he won't share. Do you think he's just playing and I should leave it alone? Or is this too mean to Molly and should I help her out? Thanks.

It's a mix, I just call him that but he's half Jack Russel and half American Eskimo. I know it's rare, I had posted before that i'd love to know if there is anyone else that's heard of that before or knows anyone with the same mix. He's really cute, I put a pic of Billy in the mix breeds section, It should be up there soon. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to just let them work it out themselves. I just feel bed for Molly when she can't play with anything.

This is normal dog behaviour(sp). The only way to "help her out" is to play with her, or let her play with the toys when HE isn't around.
My GSD is NOT the dominant dog in the house. BUT she IS the toy hog. As far as she is concerned ALL toys are HERS. However she is 4yo so I can put her on a "down stay" so the others can use "her" toys.

Thanks, I'll try that. Another problem I have with just Billy is that he's just learned to bark. Anytime he hears a noise outside our front door, he barks. Is this something that I should allow? I do live in an apartment building and I don't want to disturb anyone. I've heard so many different things, like tell him NO in a firm voice, or take him outside and show him there's nothing to be afraid of... What do you think I should do? Thanks. By the way, what's a GSD?

Guest Anonymous

I would say if they are near by just pet them and say its okay when ever they bark. Usually younger dogs will do this because they want to feel that they are protecting and doing good. Sometimes they will do it just to hear themselves bark.

I don't think its a big deal in an apartment complex. I would still tell them no but as to take them outside I don't think its too necessary. But others may disagree.

Im still trying to get my dog to accept the vacuum cleaner.. She absoltuely hates it! :)

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Trinity']GSD=German Shepherd Dog

Trinity[/quote]

OK, since this was brought up...why is the German Shepard the only one (that I'm aware of) with DOG after it's name?????

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='NVMY03GT']I would say if they are near by just pet them and say its okay when ever they bark. Usually younger dogs will do this because they want to feel that they are protecting and doing good. Sometimes they will do it just to hear themselves bark.

I don't think its a big deal in an apartment complex. I would still tell them no but as to take them outside I don't think its too necessary. But others may disagree.

Im still trying to get my dog to accept the vacuum cleaner.. She absoltuely hates it! :) [color=brown][b]My male is afraid of a broom. A noise-less BROOM. [/b][/color] :roll: [/quote]

Guest Anonymous

[quote]OK, since this was brought up...why is the German Shepard the only one (that I'm aware of) with DOG after it's name?????[/quote]

To distingish it from the German Shepherd Human? :lol:

But seriously, I have no idea.....I wonder

Trinity

If you don't want him to bark, do NOT pet him and talk nice to him when he does it. In his mind this will tell him that barking is a good thing. If you don't want him to bark at all, you should get after him immediately when he barks. With most dogs I have been around, ignoring him will not make him stop and it very well may make it worse. After all, it you are not reacting, maybe you aren't hearing him and he should continue.
If you want him to bark enough to let you know someone is at the door, let him bark a couple of times, then tell him "Quiet" (or what ever word you choose) to let him know that "that is enough".

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Mei-Mei'][quote]OK, since this was brought up...why is the German Shepard the only one (that I'm aware of) with DOG after it's name?????[/quote]

It isn't the only one. Shiba Inu, Tosa Inu...all the Inus...Inu means dog. :wink: Then there are SheepDOGS, and Irish WolfHOUNDS and GreyHOUNDS too![/quote]

Guest Anonymous

I did reply. I swear. I said that I knew what Inu meant and then had MANY of these after.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

It's Friday. Gimme a break. :lol: