Dogomania

helping a rescue dog

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi...got a behavior issue that I could use some brainstorming with...My third dog just came to live with us in August. He is approximately 18 months and seems to be a purebred GSD. He was a stray being held by animal control and was literally skin and bones when he became available for adoption. After having him meet my two kids (6 &3) and our other two dogs, (8 year old Border Collie X and a 2 year old GSD) we decided he would make a wonderful member of our family. He has adjusted to our family wonderfully-he is kind, gentle and very tolerant.

Here's the problem...When we are all outdoors, if I am throwing balls, (or snow or whatever) for the dogs he gets really overstimulated. For example, there have been a few times that he has sunken his teeth into me (probably just trying to get the ball before I throw it) while I am throwing the ball. I'm pretty certain this is not a dominance issue. It's almost like he never learned the right way to play or was never corrected if he got too rough with his mouth. My last rescue sheperd used to do the same thing. My other sheperd who I've had since he was 7 weeks is extremely gentle with his mouth, despite an extraordinary play drive.

My new guy has gotten me really good three times. At this point I will not let him be offleash if the kids are playing ball or throwing snow. I have been incorporating some obedience work into playtime (which I do anyways) and that has helped. He sits very nicely and waits for me to release him to get the ball. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I am mainly concerned with him biting someone by accident (like one of the kids when they are playing) because he is so intent on getting the ball.

Working the obedience into playtime is excellent. I'd certainly continue that. In addition, perhaps yelling OW very loudly if he so much as touches you with his teeth or even appears to be headed that way might help. And of course playtime is OVER. Do you have an outdoor pen? Or a crate? If playing outside, he chomps or even touches your skin with his teeth, you can VERY CALMLY put him in his pen or if inside, put him in the crate. No fuss, no muss, just 'oh my you bit me now in ya go' in a neutral tone. I know that crates should not be used for actual punishment, that is why you do not want to fuss at him, be neutral or even upbeat about it. Still means playtime is over if he nips or bites.
If possible, involve the kids in the obedience work. With you by their side, teach them to ask him to sit for attention, treats, playtime, etc. Help him to understand that EVERYONE in the house outranks him.
Best of luck, I think he is lucky to have 'found' you.

Guest Anonymous

He sounds like a wonderful boy, and it does sound as though it's just his excitement to get the ball. How is he taking treats? Does he have a soft mouth when taking these vs. how he tries to grab the ball? You may also want to enter him into a formal obedience class where he will learn to deal with the distractions, excitement, etc. You seem to be doing all the right things, and perhaps it is because he never learned to play or have toys because no one ever cared for him that much to play or provide toys. Good luck, and do keep us posted.

Guest Anonymous

Hi and thanx for the feedback. In answer to one of the questions regarding how he takes treats...we have done alot of work around that and he is finally realizing the ONLY way he will get a treat is when he is gentle. sometimes this takes 3 or 4 tries. He is definitely learning though. Do you think I will eventually be able to trust him 100% when we are outside playing or is this just an issue that might get better but I'll always need to be vigilant about?

This is a really great website that I just happened onto the other night. I'm still a little confused on how to be a member, but i will keep trying.
Happy New Year to all.
Elfy