Dogomania

Yet another dog food question

Hobbit

Yeah, nasty. That's why I home feed. Thankfully I have the time, interest, and lots of assistance.

Natural Balance has "Chicken, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Potatoes, Chicken Fat". So less meal at least.

The Wellness lines seem to have little meal other than fish meal.

[quote name='gigishiba']So Hobbit, did you decide whether or not to go with this food?[/quote]

We haven't decided if we will switch. We are giving it a try and so far, everything is going well.

We're using Naturally Premium:
Chicken meal, Ground Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken fat (mixed with Tocopherols, citric acid & Rosemary extract), Lamb, fish meal, beet pulp, flaxseed, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, chicken liver meal, yeast culture, vitamins and minerals.

Compared to Diamond - Lamb & Rice:
Lamb meal, brewers rice, brown rice, rice flour, fish meal, chicken fat, egg product, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, vitamins & minerals.

[quote=Mary's Mama]Hobbit,

I am sorry, I did not know you had many mouths to feed. I understand your position. I can say though that even though the premium foods are more expensive, the dogs eat a lot less, so overtime you many not actually put out more money. I wish you luck in your research. And thank you for listening.[/quote]

Diamond is a premium dog food, we pay more, but they do eat less. I searched for Wellness in this area and was not able to find anyone that carried it within a 75 mile radius. I know what you are saying about overtime, but Wellness is still too expensive for the amount of pounds we feed per month.

Guest Anonymous

I will say that I have noticed my dogs are eating a LOT less on the Natural Balance than they did on Iams.

I'm giving them about 2-3 cups (for BOTH-TOTAL) a day and they get free feedings. Kenzo is suppose to have 1.5-2 cups alone (according to the lable)...but they only eat what they need!

[quote name='alicat613']I'm really impressed with the Natural Balance. It's a really good price, and I know quite a few dogs who are doing great on it. My cats eat the kitty line and are looking great. If I were ever to need to feed kibble, this would be the one![/quote]

Do you have a dog?

Yes. I already explained on the previous page of this thread that I home feed my dog. My cats prefer kibble, unfortunately. My dog is Parker, you can see him in the thread "Parker Puppy" in the pictures forum.

I guess I could/should explain why I felt the kitty statement was relevant. I have two cats, one who has serious allergies to just about everything (food ingredients, air pollutants, fleas, you name it). It's an overall problem that really develops in her skin that we have dealt with for going on two years now. Going through different kibbles, I have seen an amazing difference in her on the Natural Balance. They ate Nutro Naturals kitten for about a year before that, and were okay. Poppy tends to develop bald spots and hot spots and scabs, etc. They were about middle of the road in severity on the Nutro, since she has been on Natural Balance, she has not only cleared up, but her fur is really filling in very plush.

[quote name='alicat613']Yes. I already explained on the previous page of this thread that I home feed my dog. My cats prefer kibble, unfortunately. My dog is Parker, you can see him in the thread "Parker Puppy" in the pictures forum.

[/quote]

There are so many members on here that it is hard to keep up with who has what. It was a simple question (I think we have a personality clash), but now that you have jogged my memory with "Parker" .... I DO remember that you have a dog.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='eggrolyn1223']Is Royal Canin good?The only commercial food we have here is Science Diet, Pedigree, Royal Canin, Pro Plan(or Pro's Choice, forgot which :oops: ), and some other crappy stuff.I looked at the ingredients..the Pro something had chicken meal in it...the others...forgot[/quote]

Royal Canin is why my vet tech suggested, but if I remember it does not list a meat as the first ingredient and that's why we never switched them to that brand....

• 1 month later...