Dogomania

Dal owners?

yellowlabsrule

Well...no Dal owners yet. I'm sure this post will bring them out of the wood work LOL.

I personally do not care for them. I see they have a tendency to get fat (although I suppose maybe that is more Damalation owner's problem than the dogs), and I find them to be hyper and difficult to train and resistant to continued obedience. Not that I think dogs must be perfect but they just seem to have a problem being good doggies IMO and experience.

Read the info here at The Dalmation Club of America site [url] [url]http://www.thedca.org/[/url] [/url].

More good info [url]http://www.rescueeverydog.org/Dalmation_breed.html[/url]

Please don't take what I have said wrong. I love so many breeds, but I think you must know which are best for you. I think Beagles are adorable. Would I ever get one? NOOOOO! They're just way too much dog for me! So what do I have? A Great Dane. People need to take into consideration the human and other pet personalities in the house, lifestyle, what sort of pet personality would go with both of those. I am not a person who wishes to have to handle a disobedient and difficult to train dog. I do not appreciate stubborness. I lean towards breeds with a tendency towards obedience and an eagerness to please.

People getting dogs for looks or general impressions without researching the breed(s) of the dog is a big reason there are so many dogs in shelters today. [/url]

Dals are difficult to train, but they are not stupid. I know you did not say this, but it does sound a little like it. They are so intellegent, they're almost to intellegent for their own good. And labs have a tendency to get fat to, but is that suppose to make me not like them, just because most owners do not know how to control it?! Anyway getting a little mad, so I'd better go.

Well shoot. I tried to say all that well, but obviously I didn't.

In no way did I mean to say Dals are dumb. Dals and Beagles are very very intelligent. Honestly I can't think of a breed of dog I would consider dumb. Anyways, simply due to genetics, typical temperament and what some breeds are bred to do now or historically, some are more difficult to train. Dals have high energy, get bored easily, do not do well left alone - they get bored, mischievious, do things to "get back at you".

I'm sorry you feel offended, but as I said, I think people need to look into breeds very carefully before they get one, including mixed breeds. Don't get a retriever lab mix if you hate getting off the couch. And vice versa, don't get an English Mastiff if you want a dog to go running with.

I simply meant to give my personal impression of Dals as well as include my little soap box about knowing what you are getting into. People who don't do their research often end up not prepared and even giving the dog up.

Like I said, this is my opinion. I personally don't like to do a lot of running and obedience work, so for me, a more laid back goofy and eager to please dog is a better choice.

A Dalmation is a good choice for someone who plans to do training and obedience classes, has time to spend with the dog (as all dog owners should!), has a yard and plans to exercise the dog.

Also like I said about getting fat..that's more the owner's fault than the dog's.

Well I don't think this is offensive, but then I didn't think my last post was either, so here's hoping you read this for what it is, and not read things I didn't say into it (like your previous thought that I am implying Dals are stupid).

I know that Dals can be hard to train and that they are high energy. I plan to do agility with it, as I do with my Lab Winnie. I also have horses, which I read Dals love because they are carriage dogs. I have studied lots and lots of breeds (zillions it seems) and I think a Dal is for me, but that is why I posted this, so I could ask some Dal owners about a couple questions. I think that I know quite a bit about Dals (not as much as I would like), I even wrote this. Any mistakes anyone notices, please tell me so I can fix them.

Dalmatians are truly a unique breed. Possibly originating from the eastern Mediterranean and spreading over Europe and India, these spotted dogs have been seen in paintings, drawings and artifacts well before the late 1790’s when they got their name. The Dalmatian has been running along horses, clearing stray animals from the road and protecting their owners for ages. They love horses and will gait with them for many miles.

They are very active dogs, which love to be with their family. If they are left out of the family fun, penned up in a kennel, they will become barkers and diggers. Dalmatian also has a short, clean, easy to care for coat. But, owners and breeders are fond of saying they do shed twice a year… six months in the spring and six months in the autumn. Their barbed hair sticks to everything. Dalmatians are not especially good with young children, but are good with older more considerate ones. Dalmatians are extremely intelligent, but also are a clown. Novice owners should definitely plan to take an obedience class. When Dalmatians are in trouble, or they’re happy, they will usually smile. Most people think that the Dal is snarling at them, but once they look at their wagging tail they know they are not.

Dalmatians, like every other breed, do have health problems. Dalmatians have unusual levels of uric acid, which can lead to them having uric stones. This occurs more often in males than females. In dogs that are predisposed to this, some purines found in certain foods form crystals in the urine. The crystals can clump together and form hard smooth stones. These stones are not only painful, but can be life threatening. Dalmatian can also be born deaf. Actually 22% of Dalmatians are born with either bilateral or unilateral deafness.

If you are considering buying a Dalmatian, remember that the Dalmatian became a fad breed when the 101 & 102 Dalmatians movie came out and there were a lot of people who bred genetically and temperamentally bad dogs. Also before buying a puppy, consider the sweet and loving adults in shelters whose lives are wasting away.

it means, I hate it when I hear that line too ie..

youve already got 5 snakes why do want another one?
No you cant have another Lizard you are out of room!
we've already got 2 dogs we cant handle another!
you dont want a Gorilla, they smell bad!
you cant have a tiger, they eat to much!
NO an Orca will not fit in the pool!
Brown Bears do not live in people houses!.......YES we live in a people house..........NO you cant move into the woods
Hippos are NOT that easy to take care of!

you know what I mean we all hear these things from the people around us

You [i]should[/i] get a Dal if you are energetic, have time to spend with it (for the whole of it's lifespan), intend to train it, and love it! People who are right for the breed should get them, otherwise all the Dals end up with the wrong homes and stuck in shelters waiting for the right people.

And no worries yellowlablover, I wasn't miffed, just wanted to make sure you understood what I was saying was not a negative thing.

Have you spent much time around them?

Same here.
No to the 17th cow (now there's only 7)
No to the third horse (unless we find the perfect one)
No to the 5th duck (they can't stop me, I have a incubator and many many eggs! :lol: )
No to the 8th guinea pig (now only one)
No to the 33rd rabbit (now just a Guinea pig)
Has been no to another dog so I have to act fast! (one day yes, next day no, one day yes, next day no, etc.) Today is a no considering Winnie is being a bad dog (stealing neighbor dog's food and not coming when called) and other neighbor got their third dog. Their first dog attacks other dogs and and thinks about attacking people. Second learn from first, but is even bolder (will come to our driveway to try and get us). Third they just got last night or today and came up behind my mom and jumped on her! :mad: I think the second and third are about 7 months old. (I haven't seen the third yet) The neighbor loves animals so much that she never get rid of any. Another lady has sheep, goats, horses, geese, dogs, that are all in knee high mud. :cry: She won't get rid of her animals either (she's like 70). Anyway... hopefully going to go to a all Dal show in Feb. That'll be cool.

[quote name='K']This is a link to Tonya's site she is a member here, her Dal is called Ax, maybe you could E-Mail her and tell her you are from here and she could answer any questions you may have that way?

[url]http://www.geocities.com/lugnut514532000/index.html[/url][/quote]

I was just at a Dalmatian forum and I found this:

3 year old male dalmatian in need of home
Author: Tonya , Dec/25/2002 17:50:32 [-05 EST]
Homepage: Search and Rescue German Shepherds and Dalmatinans

Hi, Ax is a 3 year old male dal who I need to find a home for. He belongs to my hubby who has changed jobs and does not have the time for him he used to. While Ax gets attention from me, it's not what it used to be and he needs a home with someone who can spend more quality time with him. He is trained, good with other dogs, kids (supervised of course), knows basic obedience and basic agility. Ax is a special needs boy who is blind due to hereditary cateracts. Otherwise he is totally healthy, up to date on shots, worming. Ax has his CGC and is a calm dog. He is available for adoption, no papers. Please email if interested. I can send pics also, or visit my website to see pics of ax.

It is the dog you told me about! :o

Guest Anonymous

I have a Dal that I rescued from the woods, along with her four pups. The pups went to Willing Hearts Dal Rescue but after all I went through trying to capture them, I couldn't part with the mama dog. She definitely stole my heart :)

She is one of the smartest dogs I have ever know and I've been around dogs all my life. She had been living in the woods for at least 3 months that I know of and she protected those babies with her life. She taught them that humnas are evil and they should not go near them. LOL...that didn't help my rescue efforts any!

While trying to rescue her I started calling her "Lady". Since I brought her home to be part of the family we have been calling her "LuvBug" because she is so affectionate.

"Bug" still has a lot of fear issues but I am seeing improvement in her every day. I have 3 Poms and 3 cats. Bug gets along wonderfully with all of them.

You can read about my sweet girl here:
[url]http://www.imom.org/voices/rescue/lady.htm[/url]

Jacki