Dogomania

A Lab may be the dog for you

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

If youre not sure what dog you want, a Lab may be the best match.
Labs are "all-around" dogs. They don`t require much grooming, love kids, trainable, and are good with other pets. Though they are large, a lab can adjust for a large apartment.
Then, the bad side. Labs need exersise, and if they don`t get it they become overweight. Labs also dig, like my own 9-month old. Labs will bark if you dont teach them not too. Labs are very social and shouldn`t be cooped up all day. Also labs can do agility, SAR, Guidework, and flyball.

I own a labx ret and as much as I love her I wouldnt recommend them for everyone .Firstly they take a long time to grow up (2 yrs) they chew dig every thing in sight as puppies and they can be boisterous with smaller children I would also think their weight might become an issue being locked up in an apartment . Another thing to look at is the number of labs in shelters this should suggest they arent quite for everyone . Dont think I dont like them my girl is now 12 yrs old and absolutely perfect but research research.................................................................................................... :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Labs have been #1 with AKC for what seems like forever...So more downsides are....
Every backyard breeder breeds them and pays no mind to temperment or health....they are very prone to Hip Dysplasia, Elbow Dysplasia, Eye problems...

They shed ALOT... I vaccum and sweep up aleast another Lab every week off of my floors :lol:
They are very active dogs so if you are not an active person or have room for them I do not recommend them..
I cannot even begin to name all of the things Jac has chewed, eaten, or "played" with..the latest "victim" was the backdoor mat. Dinosaurs, Pillows, crayons, Tonka dump truck, shoe, blanket, Kiddie pool (rim), food bowl, rug, numerous toys, soccer ball, stuffed animal, book, magazine, rolls and rolls of toilet paper, and the list goes on.... :lol: :lol: I am at home with this dog 24/7... He is sneaky!! They are very active and when bored they seek an outlet...

Like Koolie said size does become an issue with children unless an owner is willing to do extensive training and still then a child should NEVER be left alone with any dog.... Jac weighs in at [size=2]100 lbs[/size] he could hurt a child just by playing...

Labs are versitile and can do numerous jobs BUT they are not for everyone..... or there would never be one in a shelter or one put to sleep because that cute little puppy got to big or was to rambuncous... :(

I agree with the others.I love Labs and my goal is to start a Lab rescue in my area someday,but they certainly aren't for everyone.I had 3 Labs and they chewed everything and they shed like crazy.I had one that was a avid digger and my yard was terrible.I love the breed and will do rescue someday,but people need to know all the pros and cons before bringing one home.Too many people don't realize what a handful they can be and many end up in the shelters.So make sure you do plenty of research before bringing any dog home. :D

Guest Anonymous

Labs are beautiful and I have to say, one of the cutest puppies there are...maybe that's why there are so many of them. They are too dang cute!

BUT...I KNOW a lab isn't for me. I just don't know how I would deal with that TAIL! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread, lots of great points!!

Koolie, I bet your ret/lab is a blast!! (Although not the dog for me!)
There is a dog we meet at the park that is a lab retriever border collie mix and she is just amzing to watch. Her owner hits a tennis ball with a racquet about 100 yards it seems, and she's always there in time to catch it right in midair! She has nooo interest in the other dogs although she is friendly, she keeps her eye on the ball!!

Like a lot of you I love labs and know they are not for me! I prefer less active dogs LOL.