Dogomania

question on training with or without treats whats best?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i know this should be on a training board but i wanted a general veiw on if it is better to train with or without using a treat. i have seen on tv training using a clicker. i wanted to know if anyone has good results with this. i dont want the dogs to get so used to treats that without them they dont do as i want them to. so far i dont have any trouble with the treats but i dont want to run into one later on either lol. tyson is already starting to get pudgy javascript:emoticon(':D')
javascript:emoticon(':D') and i realy dont want him to get to fat. we have an outside dog whos 4 years old. shes a huge mutt. her grandma was a black lab german sheapard mix and her grand dad was an english coonhound. i eneded up with a girl who looked like a tiny coonhound lol she was the size of a small rat terrier. welll she had one puppy the dog we have , we call her bruno lol shes beyond huge. shes got to weigh over 100 pounds easliy , her back has to be at least a foot wide. we cant figure how what her dad is. she looks like a rottie but there are no male ones around here only one female and shes fixed lol. we have tried to rain her but shes so big the only thing we have gotten her to do in 4 years is sit LOL its not like we can push her hind end down and say sit, it would take two people just get it done LOL. is there any breed that looks simaler to a rottie? ill try and get pics of her tomarow. she looks like the most vicous dog ever but shes just a big baby. she loves to scare anyone going down the alley by barking at them but if you come near her shes all for wagging her tail and wanting petted by anyone.
sorry so long and about diff subjects lol its 1 am and im wide awake and bored LOL

I use both! That is both treats and the clicker. After all, clicker training is successful when the dog associates the click with something good! Now this could be verbal and physical praise but I find that for mine, food treats work best. I say use what works best!
Initially in clicker training, it's click-treat, click-treat, click-treat. You gradually reduce the FOOD rewards and replace them with verbal and physical praise, a pat, a rub, make sure ya smile! You still use the clicker as the dog should associate that sound with having done something to please you.
Also, make sure you cut the food treats into itty bitty pieces. You don't want to be stuffing your dogs mouth full of food so they have to sit there and chew chew chew while you are ready for the next step.
Now your dogs might be more toy driven, a bouncing ball, a tossed squeaky, a short game of tug, you can use that as a reward.

I've heard that clicker training works very well, although I don't have any personal experience with it. However, I was thinking about starting my dog, Roxie in agility and the best place in the area that teaches agility only uses clicker training - so I have to go to one of their clicker "convert" classes. That should be interesting... Neways you might want to visit their site at [url]http://www.alldogsgym.com/clickerset.html[/url]
Besides giving a good background on the history of clicker training, they also tell a couple of success stories.

A word on clicker training, not ALL dogs think its so hot, while both of my girls love it and do well, my Belgian boy HATES it. He is sound sensitive and the clicker noise drives him crazy. If anyone is considering joining a clicker class, it would not hurt to buy a clicker first and try it out on their dog. Jesse is probably in the tiniest of minorities of dogs who do not like it. A clicker should cost no more that a couple of bucks, get one, have a treat in one hand and the clicker in another. Click-treat. It's certainly ok for your dog to blink or look a bit surprised at the sound, Jesse gets nervous and shies away. The girls shimmy up closer because they know something good follows the click!
If you do feel clicker training will work for you and your dog, I'd then put it away until the class so you don't inadvertently create any bad habits on yours or the dogs part. :D