Dogomania

Leash Training - Help!

cairnmom

OK, Frodo is about 7 1/2 weeks old now and I want to start leash training. He will not tolerate his harness (too little for a collar still) but hates the leash. He is ok dragging the 4' nylon leash around the house and is ok with the 6' leather one. But, he will not walk on the leash if I am holding the other end. If he feels the slightest bit of tension, he refuses to move. So, he will walk for a bit then stop, feel tension and not move at all. How can I make him like this? I would almost rather he ran in front of me straining to go faster. Instead he just sits behind me refusing to move.

Help!
Thanks,
Jessica

Cairnmom, i would give him more time as he is only just under eight weeks old, he should have all his innoculations before he goes out incase he picks anything up from the street or other dogs.....in the mean time leave the collor on him, even if its a little too big....no pup likes it at first but he will soon get used to it! this would be much better than trying to get him to walk on a leash he isnt used to, refusing to move is his way of saying (i dont like this so im staying put).
Once he is used to wearing the collor, put the leash on him but dont hold it....just let him wander around...it will probably feel strange to him at first (this thing dragging behind) keep an eye on him, just incase he decides to have a chew etc.

GOOD LUCK :)