Dogomania

Breaking habits?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey there guys and gals.. This might be an easy one to solve for you.. It involves breaking habits.. ISabelle is getting much better at potty training.. She is still in the habit of when shes excited she pee's but I don't think she knows it.. so when I come home I just stay outside till she is done greeting me.. :).. Anyhow.. Thats not the question..

Isabelle has gotten into the habit of jumping on the bed in the middle of the middle of the night to be close to us.. (My girlfriend and I).. Now don't get me wrong at first we were like awww.. thats so cute.. now you can't move on the bed without the dog being in the middle or rolling over on her or something.. We've tried to take her off and put her back on the floor.. 10 mins later after we are asleep shes back on it.. She has a cage on the floor with a comforter and pillow inside it but I don't think she likes to sleep in there simply because usually thats where she had gone when shes bad or when we leave for the day.. Anyone else's dog do this? Don't get me wrong shes not a large dog.. but with two people on a queen sized bed.. its not meant for a dog too .. :).. Any suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

Yes but if he or she did do something wrong your not supposed to hit them, and as a puppy.. They don't understand yelling.. I don't want to abuse the puppy EVER.. but they need to be taught something is bad some how do they not?

Guest Anonymous

Oh I don't mind the dog at all.. Shes cute as hell and I think its adorable she wants to be a part of us.. Im like actually starting to grow attached to her.. Although I hate it when she pees on the carpet.. GRR.. and somehow I gotta train her to quit jumping on people who enter the apt..

Can you secure her in the crate ? If not mabey you need to put her in another room with the crate until the habit is broken and she is a bit older As for the disipline I use voice tone to tell the dog I am unhappy about something a firm no is the first part of training and a happy fun voice for coming and peeing outside works wonders for me Unfortunately you found out the hard way that you have to start as you intend to continue(bed hopping) :lol:

Guest Anonymous

All three of my dogs (and sometimes by daughter) sleep with me. One of the perks of being a single lady :wink:

BUT, none of them (dogs) were allowed on the bed until their behavior and clear understanding of just whose bed it is was well grounded. Dogs need to earn privileges or they take them for granted and take you for a ride!

You're the boss, you make the decisions. It's too bad your dog has learned the crate is a bad place to be. You can change that too, by properly crate training her. No more "bad girl" time outs, make the crate a great place to be by putting a high value food item in it and letting her go in on her own. Then close the crate door for a short time, while she's enjoying her treat. Make it something REALLY good, and only give it to her while in the crate. When she's in the midst of dog food heaven, tell her to come out and take the treat away. Repeat for a few days, weeks whatever and make each session a bit longer.

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

:angel: Hmmm. . You know I really liked that last paragraph.. I've never heard of anyone doing that before I will have to try.. Also.. Another question and I might be getting off the subject.. But.. Our puppy is only about 8 months old, and she is still in the habit of eating out of the cats litter box :evil: Yeah i know.. Ewww.. :-( Does this mean we arn't feeding her enough?? We usually feed her twice a day.. once when we wake up and the other in the evening.. Im not sure if we need to feed her more or not? And a final question.. Is it better to get a dog on a schedule of whe to go potty or basically just kind of a watch and learn basis as far as just to watch her if she goes by the door or just looks at you for attention take her out?? We have ben taking her out whenever she just tries to get our attention and I think part of that might be her just wanting to play :-)

Sorry I know a million and one questions but ya know.. :)