Dogomania

Beast on the leash

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a two year old Australian Shepherd that is very well behaved, has a great temperament, loves people, kids and gets along with most dogs.

This dog has had 4 levels of obedience, and has had 2 levels of beginning agility.

everytime I have him on leash he continually pulls (tried the tree method, and tried going in opposite directions-doesn't work with this one, lol!). He is very strong and has injured my shoulder on one occasion an my back on another. The problem comes when he sees another dog on leash. :x That is when he becomes super strong and pulls (he'll even choke himself to death if I'm not careful) and barks and is almost out of control.

My trainers have recommended the gentle leader which seemed to work for a while, but now when he sees a dog he will even pull with the GL.

I then purchased a no pull harness, but that was only a temporary fix as well.

I have two other dogs, one that has been trained two years in agility and is excellent on leash, and another I just rescued in July. My rescue was a puller on leash when I first got him but with just 3 leash correction, he is fine. :P :lol:

Does anyone else have this problem, or have any suggestions how I can cure it

Guest Anonymous

Yes, and he absolutely tunes everything out.

He has a one track mind, and that is to get to that other dog.

I have has some success when I take a treat bag with me (he is VERY food motivated) and just command "heel" while I am shoving treats in his mouth until we get past the other dog. Realistically I can not do that forever (he is already about 7 lbs overweight). I was very consistent with this for about two months, but without the treatbag, forget it!

He is not at all dog aggressive and I know he just wants to play, but MY GOODNESS!!

This is one area where all his trainig goes out the window :( .

My son has been walking him all this week, and he calls Jesse "suicidal on the leash", LOL!

Guest Anonymous

What a great idea!!

Yes, he definately has ball drive and I am most definately going to give it a try.

You are quite clever and creative with your advice :P

Thanks!!

Hey Becka --- I agree with Jacsmom, a tennis ball is an excellent idea. A loud squeaky toy will work sometimes. Anything to divert or redirect his attention to you.

Unfortunately, he knows he's stronger than you are and knows he can get away with this. And it's an Aussie characteristic, too (for some, at least). They are wonderful dogs. I just placed two rescued sisters (blue merle and blk-tri) into adopting families. They will be missed :( , but I have visitation rights ... :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Just curious, did the sister's both go into the same home together? How nice that you get visitation :) , I'm sure you must form attachements to these rescues and what a great thing to be able to keep in touch.

I really admire you people who rescue and foster dogs.

I just rescued an aussie/border collie mix from Texas. We flew him up her to Ohio in mid July. He is approx 1 yr old. I was going to foster this one, but I am too soft hearted and decided to keep him :P .

He (Harley) makes dog number three for me. I can say having three dogs has been quite a challenge, but we are all adjusting well (...well, maybe Cody (my first dog) is having a little harder time with Harley, but we're working on it :wink: ).

I noticed your statement about Jesse being stronger than me and knowing he can get away with it. I absolutely agree, but is there anything that can be done about his way of thinking?

The breeder I purchased him from recommended using a pinch collar (haven't tried that; not sure how to use it properly, or if it is something I should even consider).

She told me that you can not only use positive motivation methods with this breed (which is my preferred training method), and that sometimes you need to use aversives.

She suggested I let her have him for a week, and she will "cure" him.

Well, I have seen her in action and she can be be quite rough and firm with her dogs (but not cruel), and I'm not sure I want to send Jesse to her.

What's your opinion on the breeders suggestion?

[quote name='Becka']Just curious, did the sister's both go into the same home together? How nice that you get visitation :) , I'm sure you must form attachements to these rescues and what a great thing to be able to keep in touch.

I really admire you people who rescue and foster dogs.

I just rescued an aussie/border collie mix from Texas. We flew him up her to Ohio in mid July. He is approx 1 yr old. I was going to foster this one, but I am too soft hearted and decided to keep him :P .

He (Harley) makes dog number three for me. I can say having three dogs has been quite a challenge, but we are all adjusting well (...well, maybe Cody (my first dog) is having a little harder time with Harley, but we're working on it :wink: ).

I noticed your statement about Jesse being stronger than me and knowing he can get away with it. I absolutely agree, but is there anything that can be done about his way of thinking?

The breeder I purchased him from recommended using a pinch collar (haven't tried that; not sure how to use it properly, or if it is something I should even consider).

She told me that you can not only use positive motivation methods with this breed (which is my preferred training method), and that sometimes you need to use aversives.

She suggested I let her have him for a week, and she will "cure" him.

Well, I have seen her in action and she can be be quite rough and firm with her dogs (but not cruel), and I'm not sure I want to send Jesse to her.

What's your opinion on the breeders suggestion?[/quote]

No, unfortunately :cry: they did not go to the same home. We had them for over a year; I just never found the right person to send them too. It was really hard to let them go, but they have wonderful homes and are the only dog in the family --- total attention just for them. One went to an elderly couple, the other went to a man and his daughter. Both girls have a life-time (return-to-me) guarantee, no questions asked and transportation will be provided.

The Aussie/BC cross should do really nice at herding or anything else presented to him.

I think Jesse may think he is a little higher in status than you. He's still so young, Aussie's do take a while to mature. You will notice a big difference in his attitude when you get to the new place, with a larger area, that he can really burn some energy off in. :wink:

Your breeder is referring to a German Pinch Collar. Without personally knowing your breeder or her tactics, knowledge, experience, etc...I am reluctant to offer any advice, since I don't want to do her any undo justice.

I would suggest that maybe you and Jesse work with her and not leave Jesse there by hisself --- would this work? You want a behaviour change, not a temporary fix.

Personally, just having been around Aussie's and other herding bred dogs for years --- it's his personality, he'll get better with age and continued training. Sometimes, since every dog is different --- sometimes you just have to compromise with them. Every dog can not, some will not, ever be perfect --- no matter how much training they have, because they have a brain, they use it and they "THINK".

So.....when are you going to post pictures of him???

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the input.

Jesse would absolutely be the perfect dog, if he didn't have this leash issue 8) . He is sweet, lovable and is very obedient in every circumstance except walking nice on the leash. He is also the most laid back of the three of my dogs, although, on leash you would NEVER know it That's my Jesse, LOL!

I agree with your advice about going to the breeders and training together, Now why didn't I think of that? I am just leary about sending Jesse to her and leaving him there. I keep imagining all kinds of things she might do to him (although maybe my imagination could be getting the best of me) :wink: .

On another note...

I would love to post pics, I'm just not sure how to do it.
As soon as I am able, I will definatley post pics of Jesse; I'll also throw in pics of all three of my boys :lol: .

TTYS

Becka

Guest Anonymous

Here is my dilema, I do not have a digital camera or a scanner. I can go to my brother's house tomarrow evening and scan photos of the gang to you.

will that work for you?