Dogomania

Questions starting Dog Training Facility

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

We will be moving out in the country and will have several acres.

My husband is going to build me a huge pole building so that I may practice agility year round with my dogs.

What I am thinking of doing is renting out my pole barn to various trainors in agility, obedience, conformation, freestyle, etc.

I'm not sure how to go about finding trainors, and what to charge for the rental of the facility.

The facility will be heated, and will have a bathroom with running water and a fully matted floor.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I will have all of the equipment for agility, and I suppose I can purchase the equipment for obedience as well.

I also have a few extra pieces, such as jumps and tunnels.

Guest Anonymous

I think I might rent out thr facility first and see how that goes. If all goes well, then maybe I may hire trainers in the future. :P

I like your suggestion about contacting local agilty clubs to see if they would like to rent the facility or to practice, but will they tell me they are already happy where they are? :wink:

That's the big question, but I guess I won't know until I ask :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I would get everything set up(make sure it is to standards) go to agility trials and meets..talk to people..look up clubs...go to them and check them out(they can't turn you away)...Check out other agility places..see what they have to offer as far as tunnels and etc...

Obedience could just incorperate...all you need is a trainer and an open area..
You could also do puppy kindergarten or something of that nature...
Talk to some trainers and see what they would charge to do the classes...It never hurts to ask..Just get a guess..
A trainer would rather have set classes, at set times..than go here and there at this and that time...
:wink:

Guest Anonymous

You could also chat with people in your local pet stores.
Ask around about groups/trainers that have or might be looking for an arena.......if they have one for year round.
Call in phone book to trainers to see what they do about inclement weather days.
Just an idea

Guest Anonymous

LOL :lol: !! I know what you mean about the bra thing!

Actually, I do know people from my club that compete, I was just worried that it might be unethical to bring up the subject, and possibly "steal" anyone away from that club. I guess it wouln't hurt to just put out feelers to see if there are other interested parties not associated with that particular club.

Thanks! I really appreciate your input :D !

Becka,

Do you have any land around the pole barn? If so, is it securely fenced? You may also contact herding dog people, sometimes they also need a place to hold sheep/cattle dog trials --- they usually have their own equipment (portable panels and livestock :wink: ).

There are several free classified sites on the internet that you could advertise. Use the search bar and put in the keyword(s) for whatever you are searching for.

Another idea, have you contacted the local 4-H club? They may need a place to hold livestock judging, rabbit or poulty shows/contests, craft fairs, etc...

And last, the most unpleasant --- do you have insurance? That is mighty nosey for me to ask --- just wanted to remind you that some people make a living out of sueing other people because they got a splinter on their property!!

Guest Anonymous

What good points you bring up!

Actually we not have the land yet. We plan on purchasing several acres, and building a house and pole barn. My idea is to have 3-5 acres for the pole barn area (would this be enough for herding?). I would definately have it fenced in for the security of my dogs (and anyone elses).

I never even thought about the issue of insurance, and I am sure homeowners insurance wil never do. You have given me more to think about and to research. I certainly need to make sure all of my bases are covered, Thanks :P !

I also love your idea about the 4H club.

Now about the free advertising, what might I search under, any suggestions?

Thanks for your great ideas and inputs, you certainly have given me a lot more to think about :D .

Becka,

Yes, you should have enough acreage available.

You may be able to get away with a sign that says something like, "Not responsible (or will not be held responsible, or enter at your own risk) for accidents of any kind to persons or animals". I would definately check with a good attorney.

The only Kelpie breeder listed in Ohio is: Homer D. Earliwine, PO Box 481, St. Clairsville 43950, 740-695-3120, email: [email][email protected][/email]

I don't know this person, just obtained his information from the Kelpie registry.

Try: "sheep free classified", "livestock free classified", "herding dog classified", something along that line in the search bar.

What about your Aussie? Is he from herding lines or show lines?

Guest Anonymous

Jesse comes from show lines, but he may have herding instinct as he seems to herd Cody (my aussie/brittany mix). Harley (the aussie/border collie mix) most definately has very strong herding instincts. He not only tries to herd my other two dogs, but he herds children and even adults who don't know any better.

Harley is very very active, even pushy at times (not always fun :-? ). I do think he would make a very good herding dog with some additional training.

Thank you so much for responding with such helpful information. I am so appreciative of all your advice; very valuable to me! You really seem quite knowledgeable in many areas :D .

I look forward to many more of your posts in the future.

TTYS

Becka

Guest Anonymous

Actually, I don't like duck for dinner, but my husband and son do, LOL!!!

That sounds like a really neat idea.

Now for a dumb question, do you rent or borrow ducks, or do you use wild ones? Herding is all new to me, so please bear with my ignorance :lol: .

Personally, I would just buy the ducks, or get some "dog-broke" sheep. "Dog-broke" sheep are sheep that have been worked so much that they know the drill and pretty much are like push button. The kindergarten dog has no problem putting them where you guide him, thus building his confidence up.

I was told that Indian Runner ducks were good for herding as they cant fly and they stick together well could you use any breed and clip wings? A friend of mine who competes with Kelpies says the instincts kick into overdrive with the ducks and so the dogs work like they are at a trial because the excitement goes up a notch . Im hopeful of getting some soon but also wondered if some ducks might intimidated younger dogs(say 6months -10 months) and do they tame up like sheep ?

Koolie, Indian Runner Ducks are good. You want to either get them as ducklings and raise them very tame, or buy adults that have been handled. Because you don't want them frantically running in all directions (which normally, they won't because they do flock well). Any duck will do, as long as it doesn't fly frantically around.

The main thing you want to do is always let the youngster win, while showing him some basic commands.

Do you train in a round pen? and then graduate to a larger area? I've heard pros and cons about this, it's all in how your dog acts and his maturity level.

PS/still working on the other stuff for you--just been busy, I'll get it to you soon, promise.

I havent actually tried ducks yet dont have the set up for them (housing etc) but Im seriously interested as we have a drought on at the moment and feeding the sheep is getting real expensive . I have a freind that breeds them and they work the dogs on them so I guess she will be passing on ones that have already been worked ! Also Hobbit found a site on some genetics regarding b/c working traits if you want it let me know.