Dogomania

Leash free area...my 2 Pits

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hollywood & Hercules went to the dog park again. this time a Austrailian Cattle Dog was there. This dog kepp bitting and nipping at both my dogs. All Hollywood and hercules did was turn and look at him while he was biting them. It was as though they each were saying to the cattle dog "What the F...k are you doing, we aren't into that sort of thing."

They basically ignored the cattle dog and the owner had to keep pulling him away from them. The nice thing is my 2 Pits were gentle as can be while that dog was mildly aggressive. Just shows you it's not the dog, it's the owner who creates a good or bad dog. If only we could raise children as well.

-Hollywood ( the Red & Yellow lives on!)

Guest Anonymous

Hollywood, that's how Cattle Dogs play. It's also an aggressive move, but they play like that too. Even growing and nipping is sometimes play. You can tell the different by their body language.

Agreed with Hobbit. All breeds have thier different playing styles, Tessa got hers mostly from the cattle dog in her and she plays like that. What I hate is when other people wont let their dog play, not because there is any aggression but only because "their dogs are too good to play" or whatever reason they have! The best way to get an agressive dog is to not let it play!
Only prob with Tessa is she's not interested in playing any more, she'll just run off and find a stick most of the time :-?

Guest Anonymous

What you described is exactly how my two ACD's play! Perhaps, the dog was just trying to play. But only you will know cuz we did not see what actually happened!

Guest Anonymous

I have to admit, I never let my dogs play with strange dogs in the park. You don't know what the other dogs are capable of, if they've had their shots etc.
Nothing brasses me off more than unruly, unleashed dogs approaching my leashed ones, especially when the park stipulates that dogs should be on restraints at all times. :x

I agree, but it is usually my dog who goes up to the dog on the lead at the off lead park :oops: (he is leashed everywhere else). The recall works ok, but sometimes he just won't listen and I have to grab him. :-? I don't want him to start any fights; even though his intentions are playful, the other dog won't always understand etc. He is fine with other dogs coming up to him when he is on the lead. He will herd smaller dogs at the park, and "dive-bombs" them, a fast version of play-nipping :D If only he would find a stick he liked as much as his doggie mates!