Dogomania

Breeding Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi I have a question for all the breeders out here. I have a book that talks about using Vitamin E to help females that are slow coming in heat. I know that nature is the best way. But I am just wanting to know if anyone else has done this before. If so how much and for how long. I can not seem to find out about it in other books. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Sorry I have not heard of that before. I have been breeding for years. Maybe someone out here has done this before and will let us know.

How old is your dog? Why do you want it to come into heat early? Is it her first season? If so she's too young to breed anyway. What breed is she? Do you have a good stud dog picked out?
Don't know about Vitamin E, its good for them but I've never heard that before. Creamed corn increces fertility though :wink:

Guest Anonymous

She is 20 mns old. I do not want to bring her in early I heard this will help them if they are late for heat. And she is late almost two months late. Yes I have a good stud dog. She may be like my other female and only has 1 heat cycle a year. She is a black lab. :lol:

Would this be her 2nd or 3rd heat? She may not have stabilized yet as she is still young. Talk to your vet.
I will add my concerns about breeding her too, I know you did not ask this but it's a subject I'm very passionate about. Please think long and hard about WHY you want to breed her. What is the point? What to you hope to get from this litter? Is she a hunting dog? Are you matching her to another good hunting dog? Or is she a show dog? Are you matching her to a stud that will compliment her attributes and lines? How about the health clearances? She's too young to have her hips certified free of dysplasia, that is done when they are at least 24 months old. Hip dysplasia is fairly prevalant in labs. I feel strongly that if we are going to help create life, we must try our utmost to create HEALTHY DISEASE FREE LIFE.
If she is a beloved pet, do you really NEED to breed her?
Do you know how many labs and lab mixes are looking for homes? Checked petfinder lately?
Do you have puppy homes lined up? Committed puppy homes? With people you would trust to be the caretaker of one of your girls babies? For their entire life?
Too many people get a puppy cause it's cute and adorable and gee then the pup grows up and is full of energy and needs far more exercise than they ever considered. Oops off to the pound with you, you are too big you make the house dirty you knock stuff over you bark you shed you chew we're having a baby and suddenly there's no room for the dog.
Off my soapbox, flame suit standiing by! :D

Guest Anonymous

O.K. You did not read my 1st post. I said I wanted to know if anyone has heard of this before I said I was not going to do this. I think I know if I am ready to let her have a litter of pups. I have been breeding dogs for years and years. I just seen this in a book and wanted to know if anyone has heard of it before.. Because I have never heard of it. I HAVE WAITING LIST FOR MY PUPS :wink: I only breed when I know I have homes for my litters.

[quote name='Guest']She is 20 mns old. I do not want to bring her in early I heard this will help them if they are late for heat. And she is late almost two months late. Yes I have a good stud dog. She may be like my other female and only has 1 heat cycle a year. She is a black lab. :lol:[/quote]

From this post I made the assumption that you are planning on breeding her when she comes into heat. I do apologize if my assumption was in error.
If you do plan on breeding her when she comes into heat, she's too young.
I don't care if SOMEONE has been breeding dogs for years and years, does not mean they are a responsible breeder. I am NOT saying you are not, just that years of breeding gives no guarantee.
A first time breeder can be very responsible and a decades long breeder can be irresponsible.
When there is an unknown quantity in the picture, and a question is asked about breeding dogs, some of us here will assume that there is an educational need and offer advice, even unsolicited advice. You can read the advice, mull it over, decide if any of it has merit, discard it if you wish, whatever you choose. That is your right. I can only hope that YOU look at the situation honestly, without begrudging well meaning advice, and decide to breed in a responsible manner.
While I am not 'anti' breeding as far as dogs go, I would personally support a 1 year moratorium(sp?) on ALL dog breeding with the exception of dogs bred for seeing eye duty or other such specific needs. Aint gonna happen of course! In the vast majority of known breeds, there is NO dog so special, so perfect, so in demand that the loss of their genes would forever ruin the breed. However, breeding dogs without proper health clearances and without regard for the proper matching of attributes has hurt many of the breeds we love.

Well said guys. :)
After adopting a dog from a shelter, I don't think I could ever go back to a breeder... not because I dislike breeders (in fact I think *responsible* breeders make the world go round!), but because it is so, so difficult (for me) to even think about getting a dog from a breeder without thinking that I could, instead, save an equally brilliant, beautiful (and often purebred) dog from the needle. I'm not anti-breeding, just anti-breeding for the wrong reasons, especially after visiting the shelter. If there was some sort of school (and adult!) education program about pets to ensure all pets not bought for breeding be neutered? A pet is for life not for Christmas type-thing? Take kids to shelters to show them what happens when that cute ball of fluff you got for your birthday grew up and got too hyper/hairy/big for you to handle, or the mass litters of mixed pups whose life ends here because irresponsible owners thought one litter would get it out of their systems, etc etc etc... Like the moratorium, it ain't gonna happen. :x
To answer the original question: no idea, maybe ask your vet? other responsible breeders you know? and don't believe everything you read :wink:

[quote name='Guest']Hi I have a question for all the breeders out here. I have a book that talks about using Vitamin E to help females that are slow coming in heat. I know that nature is the best way. But I am just wanting to know if anyone else has done this before. If so how much and for how long. I can not seem to find out about it in other books. :roll:[/quote]

I really don't know if it is true or not, but, i do know a few people who give
vit E and wheatgerm to their males and females , the males when they are used at stud, 2weeks prior to the matings, the females for when they are due in season, they to this they say for it helps with fertility, i dont think it is done to bring the b i t c h in season....
I know you can have an injection to bring a b i t c h in season, but i personally would not do that.
I have just waited for my b i t c h to come into season after her first litter,
she has just had a season and guess how old her pups are? They are just over 3 and a half years old. :o
I didn't mate her i am waiting to see if see ever has another season.
I am afraid the dogs don't read the books, that us humans write :wink:

Guest Anonymous

If it was me I would take her to the vet and have a health check done to check for any problems. This would be good to due anyway prior to breeding. While I was there I would also have her OFA x-rays done and sent off. Or Penn-Hip.

I would not rush a heat cycle just in case she is like your other female and has them once a year.