Dogomania

Tea Cups

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

You see tea cup dogs everywhere....but are they "valid"? My vet's receptionist has two that come to work with her everyday and are soo dang cute, but I know they are not AKC recognized....

What are everyone's OPINIONS on tea cups? Notice, I said opinion. Last I checked, Webster's says this:

"1. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
1. A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
1. A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
1. The prevailing view: public opinion.
1. Law. A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court. "

And that's from:
[url]http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=opinion[/url]

THANK YOU FOR YOUR OPINIONS ON TEA CUPS!!!!!!!! :D

Teacups, hm. I'd be scared to have them around me! Not that graceful. While there are certainly purebreds that are dubbed Teacups I don't believe (as has been noted) that they are eligible for showing in AKC conformation due to size ranges. I also have seen and heard many times that teacup sized dogs are prone to a greater proportion of health issues related to their tiny size. I DO NOT KNOW THIS FOR A FACT. Just what I've read here and there. Just a personal opinion/musing, should dogs really be bred down so small that a guinea pig could whup 'em? LOL

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Carolk9s']...Just a personal opinion/musing, should dogs really be bred down so small that a guinea pig could whup 'em? LOL[/quote]

That's a riot! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='gigishiba']You see tea cup dogs everywhere....but are they "valid"? My vet's receptionist has two that come to work with her everyday and are soo dang cute, but I know they are not AKC recognized....

snip websters [/quote]

Teacup Whats? is the question as several toy breeds can be referred to that way when looking at the tiniest members of their breed.
And yes they can be registered if the parents were.
In general teacup sized anythings are less healthy, harder to train, more delicate than the normal members of the breed. IMO the type of people deliberately breeding 'teacup' size dogs are right in with the 'poo' breeders and others interested only in making money from pups with no care to the happiness of the new owner or the health of the dogs as long as cash was gained.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='gigishiba']You see tea cup dogs everywhere....but are they "valid"? My vet's receptionist has two that come to work with her everyday and are soo dang cute, but I know they are not AKC recognized....

snip websters [/quote]

Teacup Whats? is the question as several toy breeds can be referred to that way when looking at the tiniest members of their breed.
And yes they can be registered if the parents were.
In general teacup sized anythings are less healthy, harder to train, more delicate than the normal members of the breed. IMO the type of people deliberately breeding 'teacup' size dogs are right in with the 'poo' breeders and others interested only in making money from pups with no care to the happiness of the new owner or the health of the dogs as long as cash was gained.[/quote]

Sorry, poodles. I was talking on a different topic about poodles in general and then mentioned tea cups....didn't transfer that info over though! :oops:

And I agree, I think tea cups are more of a money thing to the breeders...but they are cute! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Teacup is a term "uninformed" people use to describe a tiny version of a breed, like Yorkie Chi. Maltese, etc. They are AKC registered if they are born to registered parents, size has nothing to do with registering a purebred toy dog with AKC. A Yorkie is not to exceed 7 pounds according to the standard, but a Yorkie can weigh 1 pound or 20 and be registered.

Guest Anonymous

well i feel nervous around teacups cause they are sooooo tiny!!!
someting similar to teacups i heard about and seen are pocket dogs
they say theyre small enough to fit in ur pocket.... :roll:
sometimes i think if im around a teacup i might step on it!! i dont wouldnt want to do THAT
i dont think they are AKC registered but who knows maybe theyre registered in some other country and it has spread around!
but teacups are cute and tiny but yea i agree they have more health problems than a normal dog would

LOL yeah K that's right, you just go on thinking that hon!

I had a lady offer me a tiny Yorkie... 2 lb or something...then she explained that she was walking slowly across the living room and it got near her foot, so she accidentally kicked it and broke its leg. that's why she was giving it up. I can't imagine something that fragile in our house!

corgilady

Guest Anonymous

he he teacup st. bernard!!! he he... that would be what.. the size of a dalmation?
I knew a lady who produced a 1lb yorkie male... I can't even imagian a dog that size, although the other day I held a 4 mo. terrier (I can't remember what kind.. grrr) in the palm of my hand, her legs were as thick as my pinky finger! And she shivered constantly! (in fear, no doubt, of those bruitish guineapigs!)

Guest Anonymous

Sorry...the pix of felony you have. I tried to get one of Kenzo (through Paint) tiny enough to be accepted but ended up with basically NO pix in the end!!!

Guest Anonymous

The disc is at home, but it's on my village photos website...but I can't get there today!!!!!! :x :x :x

If you can, I'd like the one where you can see Kenzo's face...