Dogomania

Becoming a breeder...?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm thinking of becoming a breeder. :o I was thinking of the Chinese Cresteds. :) Anything I should know about it? The breeding I mean.

Love: Angel :D

Guest Anonymous

Yes, if you do not have a fat bank account, forget it. Call vet clinic's and price a few services, such as emergancy c-sections. It is a wake up call for most and the desire goes away fast.

Guest Anonymous

You just don't choose a breed and decide to be a breeder that would make you a backyard breeder. You should go to shows, read up on the the breed, learn all that you can from reputable breeders (at the shows) and handlers. When you've done all that and realize all the problems associated with that particular breed. You buy a show quality pup from a reputable breeder (one who shows in conformation and/or obedience) and they will put you on a waiting list for a show quality pup (but please know that any dog that appears show quality at 8 wks. up can turn up not to be show quality as it matures. A reputable breeder will require you to sign a contract stating that you will show this pup. When the dog has turned 2, have a reputable breeder evaluate your dog to see if it's breeding quality. If it is not, spay/neuter. If it is, then you should go through all the necessary and expensive testing that is needed for hereditary problems common to that breed (this should also be done w/stud dog). Then pups should be sold w/contract stating pet quality dogs must be spayed/neutered and any pup must be returned to you at anytime during its lifetime for any reason. Then you must be able to take off work should the mother have problems w/no milk so that you will be available to bottle feed the pups around the clock. First is to ask yourself what is the reason I want to breed. The only answer should be for the betterment of the breed. If you think your going to make a few bucks, forget it. Reputable breeders rarely break even.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']I'm thinking of becoming a breeder. :o I was thinking of the Chinese Cresteds. :) Anything I should know about it? The breeding I mean.

Love: Angel :D[/quote]

Here is a site to investigate on breeding in general - but something else to consider with the breed you have chosen - how much do you know about lethal genes? how much about calcium imbalances? how much do you know about hand raising pups? about leg breaks? about proper homing of pups?
[url]http://www.bluegrace.com/virtualbreeding.html[/url]

Oooooooooo, Guest, that's one of my most gee golly favoritest sites in the whole world. I pass that around every chance I get. There's also Virtual Breeding2 for the breeder who thinks they've learned all they need to know. Glad to see someone else passing that around. It's actually what changed my mind once a (not so) very long time ago about wanting to breed (or at least was a major contributing factor). I remembered thinking all I needed was two "working" dogs and... :oops:

Guest Anonymous

Good advice from everyone!! Research alot and pick up every bit of information you can. It takes alot of time, money, patience, lots of LOVE, and real heart. Breeding is not a money making thing if done correctly. If you have a litter of pups who have hereditary defect you have to be willing to keep them or find homes who are willing to care for the Special pups. If you find homes you pay for spay/neuter to be sure this defect is not passed along. Sometimes defects are not found until they are 1 yr old! The virtual breeding site is GREAT so is the second one! I think it takes a passion and the ability to be poor at times to breed. :lol: :D

:-? Oh....dear....this can some times be a hot topic. I would suggest that you answer these questions before considering being a breeder

1. Why do you want to become a breeder?

If your main motive is $$$, please go into some other area....please don't breed. If you love dogs and want to truly better the breed and willing to take all the great advice some of our members can give you...go for it. (although IMHO...shelters are the best place to get a dog)

2. Are you willing and able to follow-up and insure the pups have a good home?

3. Are you willing to act...or take them back if the home is not good?

4. Are you willing to spend much time and effort learning ...not just getting two AKC dogs and telling them to have fun (and I guess technically I should say a dog and a bitch)

Good luck to you!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Anonymous']I'm thinking of becoming a breeder. :o I was thinking of the Chinese Cresteds. :) Anything I should know about it? The breeding I mean.

Love: Angel :D[/quote]
Why chinese cresteds?
They come in two sorts, hairless and powder puff.
sometimes a breeder will have a litter and it is all powderpuffs, sometimes a mixture.
research the breed, go to shows, buy books, surf the net,
find out the problems the breed has.
They are not a very popular breed, so homes may be hard to find, people will go to breeders who show and win, there is that to consider too.
Roo