Dogomania

Teaching an old dog new tricks

bk_blue

Do you think it is possible to train a 7yr old dog to stop pulling on the lead/heel? He is a heeler cross and very strong, stubborn and smart. He knows sit, stay, down etc. and is walked on a check chain. I've read the previous topic on heeling, would that apply to an older dog? I've thought about switching to a head halter to stop the pulling. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Guest Anonymous

anti-pull harness
anti-pull harness
anti-pull harness

get the point. I had to get one to stop McKenzie from pulling me. It works to. This is what happened the first week I used it

day 1 whole 2 mile walk
day 2 3/4 of the walk
day 3 only 1/2 the walk
day 4 for 3 minutes at first
day 5 ony the last 10 minutes of the walk (other dogs got her excited)
day 6 not at all
day 7 not at all

I still hook the harness up and take it with me just incase she gets out of control. The way it works is that if they start to pull on the lesh it pulls back on there front shoulders, its doesn't hurt them but it is a little uncomfortable. When it pulls back they stop and walk next to you. They learn quickly that if they try to walk out infront it pulls them back. As long as they stay with you it is in no way uncomfortable.

When I trained McKenzie and she pulled the harness she would stop I would tell her to sit. Then when I got up right beside her I would so come on. Then if she started to pull ahead and I would say stop. She then learned when I said stop that she was suppose to sit until I told her to come on. Now she walks right with me and I almost never have to use the harness. If I stop she sits and will not move until I tell her to come on. It worked like a dream. Now I can take her in public without her pulling me to death and jumping all over people. IT was a miracle tool for me. Hope this helped!

Mei Mei, I have read tips of that kind in many magazines, so I do believe it works! To add, I read a whole article on this and it said that the critical thing to do is [b]not to reward the dog for pulling in any way, shape or form! [/b]It pointed out that when we take the dog out, we put the lead on him/her, and the dog pulls towards the door.. and is immediately [b]rewarded [/b]because we open the door for them! So trick one is don't even start the walk until the dog is NOT pulling, make them sit and wait until you are walking out ahead of them. Then they will pull to get places, most owners have 'usual' walks- the dogs know where you are going and they think they are leading you! So just remind them who's in charge- dog starts pulling, you immediately change direction completely! This throws them and soon means they need to pay attention because they can't be sure where they are going! Helps to take your dog new places at odd times, keep life unpredictable!! Dog must listen to you because only you know where you are headed!! :D
Guess again, you'll look a little odd and have some really long walks but never mind...!!

Thanks very much for your polite responses:)
I've taken note of all the suggestions, If I get no joy from stop-start I'll try the anti-pull harness, which is sounding very tempting- but he is a tough dog who doesn't seem to care about choking to death when he's excited! Bullboxers, did you have a similar problem with McKenzie being so excited that she didn't care about whatever discomfort the check chain (or whatever you used prior to the harness) caused?

Guest Anonymous

McKenzie would pull on a regular leash, check chain, it didn't matter. She would pull until she couldn't breathe. She is a lot stronger than me and I could not hold her back no matter how hard I tried. So I couldn't try to stop and hope she would come back towards me because I couldn't stop. I really do love my harness. McKenzie is tough, pit bull and boxer muscles all in one package. I just couldn't control her. I do love the harness. I will swear by it for life!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='bk_blue']Do you think it is possible to train a 7yr old dog to stop pulling on the lead/heel? He is a heeler cross and very strong, stubborn and smart. He knows sit, stay, down etc. and is walked on a check chain. I've read the previous topic on heeling, would that apply to an older dog? I've thought about switching to a head halter to stop the pulling. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)[/quote]

Check out [url]www.gentleleader.com[/url] - the first person I ever saw using a head halter was a lady walking the lead dog from her sled dog team on one - he was part wolf and ALL pull when a lead was on his collar! but with the head halter he was nicely under her control and heeling perfectly.
As for age being a factor - it is in one way - not that older dogs cannot learn but rather that just like kids who have been getting away with things an older dog *knows* there have been ways to get his or her own way and may try longer to get back to doing things that way than a less experienced dog might.
I've retrained 10 and 11 year old dogs so I know it can be done!

Yes you're right. BK is not only older but **very** stubborn (can I emphasise this enough!) and likes getting his own way :lol: I can control him (after pulling my arm out of its socket) but would like walking to be a more pleasant experience for both of us. Thanks for all your suggestions. I will seriously look at both head halter and anti-pull harness. Last time we went to the vet she suggested a head halter... Hope to have some progress notes soon... 8)