Dogomania

Doggie Tricks

Aroura

With Lilys obedience classes we are required to choose one trick to teach our dog. I was wondering if any of you could think of something cool I could get Lily to do. 8)
I was thinking maybe something like bringing a basket to me, or packing an over night bag, with like a collar, lead and squeeky toy :D
Any other suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

hm that would be hard cause u would have to tell ur dog to get the sqeeky toy and put it in the bag and that might confuse lily cause of too many words
u can make her do highfive
like u can say lily highfive and shes supposed to lift up her paw and kinda clap it with ur hand and ur hand should be raised up already
that trick is easy if lily already knows hand
u can also make ur turn around or stand up
theres this one trick that is simple but u can make her bark
like my dog i get a treat and i tell her say please if u want the treat and she barks!
tell us what ur lilys trick is when u decide :D

I went to the dog park and I talk to this other pit owner (of course!) and he has Studly do this trick...basically beg...and you have them sit and then you help them to sit up striaght...does that make since?? It's not all that hard...they just have to build the muscles to hold them selves up...Gizmo has gotten it pretty quickly....

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura']With Lilys obedience classes we are required to choose one trick to teach our dog. I was wondering if any of you could think of something cool I could get Lily to do. 8)
I was thinking maybe something like bringing a basket to me, or packing an over night bag, with like a collar, lead and squeeky toy :D
Any other suggestions?[/quote]
A big crowd pleaser is on the cue of sneeze to have the dog bring you a tissue or hankie :-)

Guest Anonymous

A lady I know taught her retired racing Greyhound to lie down and play dead on the command of "BANG." She would just point her finger like a gun and say BANG and down the dog went. It was a really simple trick.

I taught my Lab to catch treats from his nose. It was much easier than I thought it would be and it also teaches a bit of patience. I'd put him in a sit/stay, rest the treat on his nose, have him wait until I gave the command, and he flips it off and catches it in midair. I actually originally started out to teach him not to just snatch treats from my hand and this is what it resulted in... :roll:

Guest Anonymous

We taught Cadie to play dead on the command of BANG! Sometimes we can even just shoot her (with our finger) and she will do it without even hearing the command. It helps if they know "down" really well. It's the trick of choice among my friends. After you teach that, it transitions well into roll over! (although, we still haven't mastered that!)

Guest Anonymous

Giz, I'm still a member. I've just been having such a time lately with screen freezes and getting kicked offline... especially when trying to sign on, so I just avoid signing on a lot lately. :-?

Guest Anonymous

Every Trick Beagle Owners Should Teach Their Beagles: Arrhhhooooing (baying) on command, to shut up the baying on command, to come on command, to chew food slowly so not to get bloated, to not bite when trying to dremel, brush teeth, whiten ticking, poof tail, and take dead bird away.

Cool tricks I taught my dogs.... to put it here (like shaking), to catch treat in the air, to come, sit, stay, down, heel, jump over, jump on, heel up, stack, roll over for belly scratch, give me a hug, jump in my arms, and be stupid... oh wait that comes naturally for my dogs.

I am constantially trying to teach my dogs new tricks. Its so much fun impressing your friends and family with how much your dogs can know!

LOL, Tessa already knows all those tricks!!! Except for 'beg' and the hanky one, but that would be cool!!! I wanted to teach Lily something cool, that Tessa doesn't already do!!! Tessa speaks on command, but that idea could never work for Lily because she doesn't bark!!! I've heard her bark maybe three times all up her whole life!!! I should be glad, but what kind of guard dog would she make? :roll: :lol:
Beg would be cool, an easy one to do to show off cauz I don't need any baskets/hankeys etc. The reason I like the basket one is because she is a natural carrier, so I could work on that. I want something more challenging than hi 5 etc, Boxers get bored with easy commands, besides, it would take me 5 minutes to teach her and then I would be bored too!!!
Thanks for the suggestions though, keep em comeing!!!!
I probably wont be online for a few days though... my grandmother died last night and I have to travell to her funeral :cry:
I think mum might let me take Lily down, I hope so because I think she's going to go in heat soon and I'd be worried sick if she was being looked after by anyone else who didn't realize exactly how imperetive it is that she doesn't get pregnant! :evil:

Guest Anonymous

Im sorry about your grandmother. :cry: How about teaching her the name of a toy, hide it and have her go find it.

How do you teach them all of Those tricks? can you tell me a few? I am wotking on sit, stay, shake, lay, rollover, fetch, find the toy, beg... Ive got my work cut out for me!

Thank you for your sympathy, if that wasn't bad enough, we got a phone call last night that Opa has fallen and needs an entire face reconstruction, fractured his skull etc. Then to top it off I came home to my two favourite fish dead :cry: It's giving me a headache just thinking about it all.
Candybug, its hard to say how to teach a dog to do all these tricks as all dogs learn differently, Tessa is a cattle dog cross so she's very smart and willing to please therefore easy to teach. She also knows the find trick too, she finds the keys on command :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='"Aroura"']Thank you for your sympathy, if that wasn't bad enough, we got a phone call last night that Opa has fallen and needs an entire face reconstruction, fractured his skull etc. Then to top it off I came home to my two favourite fish dead :cry: It's giving me a headache just thinking about it all.
quote]

Oh Aroura! I'm sorry. These are sure not the easiest of times! I will keep you in my thoughts.

[quote name='Mei-Mei']I saw a dog do the Mexican Hat Dance once and it was really cute. Maybe you could teach Lily to dance around a hat (the music actually adds a lot to this trick).[/quote]

LOL, sounds like fun!!! Lily would probably just lie and chew the hat! Its a dogs life, aint it! 8)

Beagle, thankyou. We all go through times in life where everything just seems to go wrong, I guess the only thing to do is to look forwards to what tomorrow may bring. I'm going to buy two new fish tomorrow to replace Buddy and Bubbles, they will have the same name but no fish could ever replace Buddy, he used to follow me around the tank all day and let me rub his tummy, its unlikely I will ever find another fish like him. Bubbles is special too, I bought him the day my boyfriend left to go to New York, I even got Mark to name him. I can get another fish like Bubbles, but it wont be the same. Although they wont be the same, I'm sure they will have their own unique qualitys that make them special. Its times like this where unless I look at the positives, the negatives will get me down to the point were I bring those closest to me down as well. I have to at least try to stay happy, if not for me, for the rest of my family and my dogs!