Dogomania

Clicker Training

Guest roo

What is everyones views on clicker training?
Have you tried it?
What did you think of this method?
I would be really interested to find out what you all think of clicker training, and even if you have not tried it, whats your opinion it?????
Roo

Guest Anonymous

I know this is very off subject.. I know this lady who shows Weimeneres and they bought a little laser light and told their dogs to stay and then shined it down by their feet and they kept their whole eyes and body on it untill they were out of the show ring. This works great if your dog is obedient enough to not pounce on it. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='roo']What is everyones views on clicker training?
Have you tried it?
What did you think of this method?
I would be really interested to find out what you all think of clicker training, and even if you have not tried it, whats your opinion it?????
Roo[/quote]

Well all the evidence shows it works great in one on one situations with dogs. I am very much for it to resolve behavior issues and to do basic training.
I'm laughing at the people who say they don't clicker train and then say they use finger snaps :lol: because I bet they are using similar principles. :wink:
You don't have to use a clicker per se to clicker train - the key in this training is you are using a marker to indicate what is correct at the exact time the correct behavior is occuring then then reward the behavior.
The click essentially 'marks' the end of the desired behavior.
It gives you an edge in communication that is very beguiling once you get the hang of it.
Personally I use positive reinforcement and will include the clicker if in a class that demands it. It really helps teach a dog to want to learn.
Target training is excellent too - its a help for positioning and bridging.
I really suggest viewing Clicker Magic video to see how trainers of even zoo animals and spooky rescued animals can be advanced rapidly with a clicker and a reward.
I suspect the clicker works better than a word as we tend to chat a lot but not click very often in our daily lives :lol: which makes the clicker distinctive.
For you herding people think about how you use a whistle command to mark a behavior you want - similar idea of using a non word sound to communicate with your dog.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']Yeh I generally have my fingers there and handy just when I need 'em!! :lol:[/quote]

Don't confuse the principles with something that is just one of the tools :-)
The principles make training so easy and the communication with the dogs so much fun and its something even novice trainers can do right right away (unlike the pain infliction collar type training which most novices cannot do correctly anyway) that its worth checking out the principles and then adapting in the ones you think will work for you :-)

Guest Anonymous

I make a clicking sound with my mouth. I must be way talented (or just no life... :) ) because I can make several different clicking sounds. It's an attention getter and each sound means something different. I click to them from the day they can hear.

The only slight of it is, is that sometimes he can't hear me if he's a ways away from me.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']How about screaming obscenities?

Ok, ok, I was just asking! :o

8)[/quote]
I think that probly works better than clicker trainig, voice control is really the best training method out there

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']How about screaming obscenities?

Ok, ok, I was just asking! :o

8)[/quote]

This is the cue that its time to stop training because the one who is supposed to be doing the training is now the one being trained :lol: :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I see the clickers everywhere at Petco's and all other pet shops, but still havn't met anyone actually using them. How are these used in training classes? If everyone clicks at different times(unless everyone's 'click' is timed prefectly) would the dogs recognize what he is doing correctly? Or do you still reward with a treat? Onyx is doing great in classes and also training on our own.

Guest Anonymous

I think enough of clicker training to give it a try with my dog. I've done some reseach on it and the theory behind it makes a lot of sense to me. We did traditional classes, and she did really well, but then we hit a wall. When we taught her to play dead, we used so much positive reinforcement an she responded excellently! I just purchased a book called Cross over Clicker Training workbook. I haven't received it in the mail yet, but the desciption says that it deals with some of the unique situations and questions a trainer might have when trying to switch from traditional training to clicker training. I'll let you know how the book goes! I don't know how clicker training would work in a class setting, we are just going to do it on our own.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Underdog']I see the clickers everywhere at Petco's and all other pet shops, but still havn't met anyone actually using them. How are these used in training classes? If everyone clicks at different times(unless everyone's 'click' is timed prefectly) would the dogs recognize what he is doing correctly? Or do you still reward with a treat? Onyx is doing great in classes and also training on our own.[/quote]

Dogs are pretty smart you know :-) and their hearing is usually quite good and quite directional. They know when its you clicking to tell them they are doing it right same as they know its you when you praise them or give a command even when others are also praising their dogs or giving a command.
The Clicker Magic video (I think that is the one) showed people working a pen full of aoo giraffes with clickers - they used different shaped targets for each giraffe and these never handled animals learned to respond to their target and their clicker signal even from in the herd.
It really is neato stuff ! :D

Guest Anonymous

Clickers, what hype.
There aint nothing wrong with normal dog training.
Do the police, the armies use clickers. No they train the dogs the old fashioned way.
CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
are you sitting down now?
CLICK CLICK CLICK
go potty?
CLICK CLICK
Heel?
CLICK
jump.
my god what hype. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I will be interested to see if they are still using clickers in 5 years time, if all th law enforcement dog trainers are using them.
I am glad you get on with them and find them great, they sell millions of the things. i dont like them but hey if it works for you great

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']I will be interested to see if they are still using clickers in 5 years time, if all th law enforcement dog trainers are using them.
I am glad you get on with them and find them great, they sell millions of the things. i dont like them but hey if it works for you great[/quote]

It doesn't really matter how well it works for the people - it matters very much how well it works for the animals - all kinds of animals are being worked using clicker training - animals that no one thought could be handled unless they were tranquilized into a stupor can now be handled with training instead.
And as a famous operant conditioning supporter said - know what happens if you punish a killer whale? it swims away and you can't teach it anything!
:D
It amazes me how much our companion animals will put up with to be with us - including many of the things formerly viewed as necessary training techniques!

Guest Anonymous

I received the book on crossover clicker training in the mail yesterday. It is short, about 40 pages (full sheets tho). It addresses many issues that I had questions about that are unique to crossover trainers and dogs. It covers a variety of topics, so it doesn't get into the nitty-gritty of clicker training very many specific behaviors so I think I might need something else to supplement it. It is definitely going to give me a good start for the next few weeks. It covers sit, stay,down, go to your place, leave it and loose leash walking.

Even though I am trying clicker training for my dog, I don't look down on people who continue to use more traditional methods. There's something to be said for tradition, but there is also something to be said for trying something new.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Cadies_Mom']I received the book on crossover clicker training in the mail yesterday. It is short, about 40 pages (full sheets tho). It addresses many issues that I had questions about that are unique to crossover trainers and dogs. It covers a variety of topics, so it doesn't get into the nitty-gritty of clicker training very many specific behaviors so I think I might need something else to supplement it. It is definitely going to give me a good start for the next few weeks. It covers sit, stay,down, go to your place, leave it and loose leash walking.

Even though I am trying clicker training for my dog, I don't look down on people who continue to use more traditional methods. There's something to be said for tradition, but there is also something to be said for trying something new.[/quote]

I think once you and the dog get the hang of it you will think of ways to use it to improve other things too - I loved this article and I can see you becoming this much of a convert too :wink: check out The Tale of the Vomiting Comet at
[url]http://www.clickersolutions.com/clickersolutions/articles/comet.htm[/url]
you might want to poke around in the clickersolutions article library for more ideas on how to use the clicker to train
[url]http://www.clickersolutions.com/clickersolutions/articles/articlecontents.htm[/url]

Guest Anonymous

i have done clicker training before and it sure hasnt worked on my dog!
we gave it up later deciding plain talking to the dog is much better than clicker training since it didnt work on us! :wink:
clicker training i think is when you say something to urdog like sit and the clicker means you are getting a treat to ur dog or something like that i forgot how to use it its been almost 2 years since ive used that method!