Dogomania

Rotting tooth

Aroura

When Tessa was in her phsyco puppy 'want to chew everything' stage one day she chomped down onto a peice of wire and chipped her tooth. I made it my mission from then on to keep an eye on it so it didn't rot. I checked it the other day, and noticed the tooth is going a darker colour than her other teeth, its rotting slowly on the inside of the tooth. Her tooth is still mainly healthy, the rotting hasn't yet taken its toll but I was wondering, should I take her to the vet now or leave it for a while? Will the vet most likely pull it out? Its her upper canine, don't know what she would do without it, she's only 4! The reason I didn't take her when it happend is because I had absolutly no form of income at that stage and my parents didn't think it was a big enough deal for them to pay for a vet visit.
Any suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

The tooth will decay into the gum, gum disease with commence, this will lead to infection of the gum and decay of the other teeth. This could all lead to a severe infection, infection of the heart.

OR, the gum will receed from the tooth, the tooth will fall out --- everything will be fine.

But why take the chance?

Is the tooth loose? The vet may suggest that it is pulled. IF there is infection, the vet will probably give the dog some antibiotics. If there is an odor (real stinky) then there is an infection going on.

Have you ever had a toothache? Dogs have them too.