Dogomania

Dog vomitting

Bronxie

:o Elle keeps on vomitting but there are no other symptoms that I find weird. it really bothers me when I see her doing this. :oops: Is there something I may be doing now. I'm looking at her eat right now and she's scarfing down her food. Can this be why?

Has he eaten something she shouldn't have, is something causing a blockage? try just feeding her a pot of live yoghurt see what happen if she can't keep that down get her up the vets asap.
Please keep us informed.
Roo

Guest Anonymous

I don't think it sounds like a blockage at all. But in order to really comment, you would have to provide more info. How long has this been occuring? When does it occur....What does the vomit look like etc.

well my mom says its white as if she's vomitting water. Last time it was food. it's only been happening when it's really hot and its happened 3 times. I just got worried. I don't give her rawhide. Right now her new chewing toy is this stick that she can chew and its meaty. :cry:

Guest Anonymous

My puppy has started gaging this evening. I dont think she has eatin annything, but it is possible that she has. She is due her next shots day after tommorow, but what could i do until then?

Guest Anonymous

Does she vomit every time after eating? You said 3 times...3 consecutive times....or 3 times over 3 days????

I would keep an eye on your dog to see if you can detect a pattern or increase in frequency. At this point, it does not appear to be serious at all. Your dog definitely does not have a blockage. Are the dog's bowel movements and urination pattern normal? Does the dog act normal in other respects?

Dogs and cats tend to vomit more than humans so don't equate the two. And the whitish, watery vomit is common.

Watch but don't fret.

The reason i said about live yoghurt is because if its just an upset tummy the bacteria in the yog is similar to that in the gut, and can put the balance back very quickly, it is a simple thing that alot of dog owners I know do, and can help no end, oh by the way i mean natural not flavoured. :lol:
If she only has been doing it when its very hot, try keeping her indoors during the heat of the day, that could be affecting her too.
Let us know how you get on.
Roo

Guest Anonymous

My Lab gets sick when he gets too hot..as long as he stays cool he is fine!! Hence the kiddie pool in the yard and him on the vents in the house!! Also if he eats without chewing (like I haven't fed him in a week! :) ) he will gag that all up! I would just keep an eye out. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Oh gosh jacsmom don't you hate how they just gulp it down!? :-? Then they get bloated to the size of a ballon! :roll: Hey! Beagles and Labs are the two breeds that get fat the easiest! Its no wonder the way they eat! :D

Puppies, if her stomach had twisted, (are you talking bloat here?)
she would have been dead by now, and she would not be able to bring anything up either if it had turned as nothing could have escaped, one of the first signs of bloat is restlessness, then trying to puke, they can bring up a very thick clear liquid with a little foam, the stomach then starts to swell, and if you tap it sounds a bit like a drum, Bloat is fatal unless treated almost straight away, then still sometimes you will loose the dog, due to damage to the insides.
Bloat is also very very rare in young pups, in fact i have only ever heard of it once and that was in a pup of 6months.
Roo

Torsion is the twisting of the stomach, bloat is the filling with geses, they are often names used for one thing, by saying bloat i also meant torsion, and i have not heard of any small breeds suffereing from it, thanks K,
Was just trying to not confuse the issue any more so just said bloat
Roo

Guest Anonymous

When a stomach flips and twists....you know it....forgot all those symptoms...the dog is down and out howling in pain....it can not be missed.

And puppies...why are you even mentioning this...when the original post is dealing with a dog vomiting occasionally. Have any of you even seen this condition first hand??? Let's try to be a little responsible in our comments.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']Oh..sorry to admit but now I am a little confused and maybe my translation is not up to scratch today so can we go over it one more time???

Torsion is???
Bloat is??
are these the same thing?
can these be experienced together?
does one lead to the other?
if so which is first?

I have read on the subject but due to conflicting impressions I feel this needs to be clarified for me, especially as I have a dog known to be prone to these/this problem...thanks in advance[/quote]

Bloat - the build up of unreleased gasses in the stomach
Torsion - the twisting of the gas filled stomach leaving no avenue for pressure release at all and cutting off the blood supply to organs in the area
Bloat can cause a torsion and a torsion can cause the gas build up with no release possible
Learn the signs of bloat, uneasiness, unwilling to eat, attempting to vomit without managing to, sudden expansion in the gut area and so on
Know where the closest open emergency vet is and the shortest way there
If its just a gas problem products with simethecone like GasX can be given - ask your vet about dosage amounts
If its a torsion you need ASAP emergency surgery and make sure its the kind that keeps the stomach from twisiting again ever.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']Oh..sorry to admit but now I am a little confused and maybe my translation is not up to scratch today so can we go over it one more time???

Torsion is???
Bloat is??
are these the same thing?
can these be experienced together?
does one lead to the other?
if so which is first?

I have read on the subject but due to conflicting impressions I feel this needs to be clarified for me, especially as I have a dog known to be prone to these/this problem...thanks in advance[/quote]

Bloat - the build up of unreleased gasses in the stomach
Torsion - the twisting of the gas filled stomach leaving no avenue for pressure release at all and cutting off the blood supply to organs in the area
Bloat can cause a torsion and a torsion can cause the gas build up with no release possible
Learn the signs of bloat, uneasiness, unwilling to eat, attempting to vomit without managing to, sudden expansion in the gut area and so on
Know where the closest open emergency vet is and the shortest way there
If its just a gas problem products with simethecone like GasX can be given - ask your vet about dosage amounts
If its a torsion you need ASAP emergency surgery and make sure its the kind that keeps the stomach from twisting again ever.
PS Dogs are supposed to gulp their food - they don't have the same type of enzymes/pepsins in the mouth we who chew veggies have instead they have stronger stomach acids to break down foods

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']Thanks for all the info ..I feel I am up to speed again now...and I know what to look out for...scary though isn't it?[/quote]

I was on vacation out of state with my dog when she bloated - fortunately one of the FIRST things I did when getting to our vacation rental is locate the vet office and their phone number and bless them they came into the office in the middle of the night for us and saved my dog with surgery.
Ps sorry for the double post - the forum blips sometimes and gobbles them twice it seems.

Guest Anonymous

About those kits....besides from the fact that this technique does not always work and surgery may be indicated....this is not easy to do....and really should not be done by the untrained owner...this is a medical procedure...and usually the owner is an emotional wreck as it is not a pretty site. I've seen it a number of times...there is no way to prepare yourself for this by reading about it...I would recommend this to be done by a medical professional who is not emotionally involved with the dog...and preferably in a vet hospital.

Nicki
Yes i have personally seen it happen twice, and with a breed like danes, know of Many, many, of different cases from other people i know, But i will point out the early warning signs i stated, are well known signs and are the usual first signs. as to the dog yelping and crying out in pain, that never happened in either case of mine.
So much research has been done into this subject and yet still no total answers as to why or when :cry: .
Roo

Guest Anonymous

[quote]It happens when dogs eat too fast. They gulp their food. And when they inhale air, it gets trapped as the stomach twists. Or when they do to much running and exercise before or after eating.
It happens most often when dogs are fed once a day, because they are hungry and they gulp their food down quickly.
That's why I feed my dogs twice a day.
[/quote]

Lafayette Kennels

Very good info...And Guest...Dogs are not suppose to gulp their food....Happens a lot on an empty stomach...so if you bring dog to vet for the day where it is required that dog must have empty stomach...be careful when you bring dog home...feed small amount of food to start...about the exercise...theory is dog comes in thirsty...drinks a lot of water...bringing air in to stomach..then eats and flips.

Lafayette Kennels...have you ever used these kits?

Well in the cases i have mentioned earlier,
My dogs are always fed 2 times a day,
Never exercised 2 hours BEFORE or AFTER feeding.
Not everything in this world is text book, but the signs normally are, Yes the dogs were Great Danes.
One survived she hadn't twisted, the other i had put to sllep the next day.
He was at home but going down hill so fast i could not let him suffer anything elsr, he didn't deserve to have to take anymore

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='"nicki
Lafayette Kennels

Very good info...And Guest...Dogs are not suppose to gulp their food....Happens a lot on an empty stomach...so if you bring dog to vet for the day where it is required that dog must have empty stomach...be careful when you bring dog home...feed small amount of food to start...about the exercise...theory is dog comes in thirsty...drinks a lot of water...bringing air in to stomach..then eats and flips.

Lafayette Kennels...have you ever used these kits?[/quote']

Boy you really do not know anything at all about dogs! Dogs are DESIGNED to tear and gulp their food down not to chew it more than needed to get it in small enough bits to get down their throats.
They are not designed as we are to chew food to add in enzymes for digestion and to break down vegetable fibers.
The myths you are perpetuating about bloat do no dogs any good - haven't you read ANY information newer than the 1960's bad guesses on bloat?