Dogomania

House Training Help

Bronxie

I have started walking Elle outside so she can do her business. Will she learn on her own in time that outside is the bathroom or do I have to do something everytime she goes outside? I tell her she's a good girl and I monitor her eating closely. So I take her out every few hours and after her naps. She's only had a few accidents inside and they were very late at night. Am I doing the right thing or will she get it eventually. :o

Guest Anonymous

Was this discussed earlier? I used a crate for my puppy, she had accidents, but I have to say it was mostly my fault for not paying attention. Now that it's summer it's alot easier because the doors are open most of the day and she can come and go as she pleases. But at night she goes back into her crate. We have had no real accidents in a couple of weeks now, she just piddles at times when she greets my husband or new people.... we generally do greetings out side, but that's hard in the morning! :roll:

Guest Anonymous

One idea is stop feeding at a certain time each night. I know Jac is not fed after 7:00 at night and goes out right before we or he goes to bed. He goes to bed at 10:30. Also when we first started I had to take him out about 2:00am and gradually stretch the time. Just remember if you take the out in the middle of the night bring them back in and straight to bed again, no play or you will be up in the middle of the night every night as they see this as playtime. :D

Thanks Jacsmom. Elle woke up at 5:30 this morning and I was so reluctant to get up. She pooped in the house so I got up and took her out. She took a long time to do anything so I took her upstairs. (I thought she didnt have any more poop left in her lol). We're going up the stairs but she doesn't want to go. I thought she was being silly until we got upstairs a dropped the hugest load in the kitchen. :o This time it was my fault. I'm just afraid she's never gonna learn to hold it in. :( She gets so distracted when we go outside. :cry:

Guest Anonymous

When I take mine out I will say hurry and go potty. Also I take them to one specific area. Jac right now has a kennel (10x10) set up as a potty kennel and will not poop anywhere else in the yard but there. Some mornings he drags me to it!! :D Distractions are hard on them so the certain area everytime should help along with some encouragment!! It also helps when you have to scoop it up!!! :wink:

Bronxie! Dont worrie she'll get it!!! Yes have one spot and tell her go potty, hurry lets go potty....before I moved into this house I also lived in an apartment and Gizmo would come wake me up in the cooooolllllldddd mornings and I would freeze my butt off but she would go and then back to bed...I know its difficult but I'm sure as long as you two go out and play enough I'm sure she cant mind being a spoiled rotten dog that lives inside!! LOL :D :P :D

Thanks for the great advice guys. Today took her out for an hour :o She urinates pretty fast but the poopy comes later... much later. I praised her after she went number 1 and she really didn't care she just wanted to play. After an hour we passed my apt building and she wanted to go upstairs. She pooped on the 3rd floor and I had to scoop it up and mop the floor cuz no one will say I'm a bad mommy! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

OK a little on the funny side
Maybe heights scare the poop out of her!! :D
Now seriously.. Are you taking her out when you get home from being at work or gone somewhere? Or is after she eats? With Jac I will say go poo-potty~sounds dumb but works..he does his business and we go in.. Of course we have to go to his area>>>Would it work if you to her to urinate and then went in and watched her like SUPER close and then took her out when she started sniffing a place to poop?? I guess the question is how fast can you get down 3 flights of stairs!!?? :P :D

Guest Anonymous

Cadie is what I call a poop snob. We had a hard time convincing her that [b]outside[/b] is where she should poop, not inside. She was always very good about peeing outside, just not pooping. She finally did get it, but now, she is so used to her "poop spot" that she won't go anywhere else unless she can't hold it one more second! Keep working at it, your pup will get it eventually. Having a potty spot really helps.