Dogomania

Looking for a new dog.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am considering buying a puppy but I am not too sure which breed I'd like. I would like a breed of the Molosser/Mastiff type as the purpose of the dog I want is to guard my property and also be a good companion. I have considered the Neopolitan Mastiff but these dogs don't have a very long life span and I want a dog who is going to be around for longer than 7-8 years which is supposedly the lifespan of a Neo. I've also considered the Dogue De Bordeaux but my family thinks that they are "ugly" dogs and also have a lifespan similar to that of the Neopolitan Mastiff. My instincts tell me to go for the smaller type of Mastiff such as a Boerboel, Bullmastiff, Cane Corso or even a Rottweiler as they live longer than the other large Molosser dogs mentioned previously. I live in the UK so dogs like the Fila or Tosa are off the list. Can anyone recommend any suggestions?

[b]Hi Guest.
I am from the UK as well. Out of all the Mastiff I own a Bullmastiff as well has 2 other dogs that are a Westie mix and Border Collie mix, however if i had the room i would definately have more Bullmastiffs. I will be looking for 2 more myself in the near future. Lets just say having one is not enough, they become very addictive that you want more. (This is so true that many breeders and owners say the same) so my choice would be the Bullmastiff.
Why because they dont drool excessively as the Mastiff, Neopolitan Mastiff, and Great Dane (they only tend to do this when they get hot and had water) a towel should always be handy. They are a very loyal breed, very gentle in there ways like other Mastiffs....sometimes you dont even know you have got one....they are coach potatoes at times and there place is to sleep by the fire or cuddle up to you.

They do need careful upbringing from pups to adult as they are prone to serious Hip Dysplasia from being overexercised when there bones are still developing, if these are not taken seriously, the pup can end up with being permanantly damaged, from 18 months old they will take as much has you can give them. Bloat is another serious condition, this can be prevented if you keep to regular feeding times, and feed two small meals daily rather than one large one. Exercise the dog well before his meals are due, and never directly after he has been fed. Allow him to rest after he has eaten, and discourage any boisterous games until at least half an hour after his meal. (Same goes with the Mastiff)

If you would like to know more, rather than me writing a long message, here is a link which i find is the best on the net about the Bullmastiff.

[url]http://www.bullmastiffinfo.org/your.htm[/url]

Here is a Mastiff site as well.

[url]http://www.yiffle.com/animals/pets/dogs/breeds/byname/mastiffs/[/url]

I suggest what ever you choose, do your research first as not all large breeds suit everyone and visit and talk to as many breeders/kennels as you can to find which type you like.

Good Luck with your search, if you need any more help please let me know.

[/b]

Guest Anonymous

I would go with the Cane Corso. I am looking into getting one when i have room for him, i currently have 2 dobies and am content with them now. But, if your family can excercie(sp?) him he would make a wonderful part of the family.

Good luck and let us know which one you choose.
:D

granted, I am not well-versed in mollosser breeds, but I beleive many mastiffs do not live longer than ten years, I may be wrong. I had a friend who couldn't get financial help for her seven year old rottweiler's surgery because "he was near the end, anyway" A smaller dog would be better for longevity, and if you just want an alarm system, any dog would do. Very few people are responsible enough to actually own a dog that roams the property, unsupervised, trained to take down a human intruder. Many people get dogs to protect the family in case a crazed killer comes through the door, a dog would not be an adequate deterrent for someone who truly wanted to kill a family member. I think it is best to choose a dog as an early alert, and to train yourself in how to handle a gun and self-defense.

Guest Anonymous

I'm in the UK and not the USA our gun laws are very strict. It is very, very difficult to obtain a gun licence here in the UK and besides guns over .22 calibre are banned.

[quote name='K']Hang on a minute is this "guest" trying to wind me/us up again!!??!![/quote]

lol :lol: yes I am sure :) :P :D
I'm beggining to think a big, gentle yet intimidating dog would be a good choice, like a saint bernard. If you want a really big breed, do alot of research into all the large breeds, because although they may not be with you for many many years, they will definatly be a BIG part of your life and you want to be sure you've got the breed which is best suited for your needs. I still suggest going to a shelter as most crossbreeds do live longer and a shelter dog will be forever grateful for its life. When I first went dog searching at the pound four years ago I fell in love with this massive mastiff cross puppy that was there, but mum never wanted a big dog, and I'm glad now because instead I came home with Tessa :D
Many large breeds often end up at shelters anyway, as people just cant afford to feed them.
If a giant size isn't that important to you, I'd go with a Boxer for sure! :D

[quote name='"Anonymous"']I am considering buying a puppy but I am not too sure which breed I'd like. I would like a breed of the Molosser/Mastiff type as the purpose of the dog I want is to guard my property and also be a good companion. [b]

As mentioned above, the Bullmastiff back in the 19th-century Britain had a task of apprehending poachers.
The requirement was for a dog of sufficient agility to pursue a man, together with the power to bring him to the ground and hold him there, without savaging.
However the breed must not be trained to guard its family and property as there need for this comes later when the Bullmastiff is adult, if these rules are not taken the Bullmastiff will see his family as outsiders in which case the dog will no longer be your companion.
There life-span is 10 years

[/b]

Guest Anonymous

I live in Angus, Scotland. There is a woman who lives about 20 mile away from where I live and she breeds the Cane Corso, Dogue De Brodeaux as well as Yorkies. I don't know very much about the Cane Corso as I am finding it really difficult to find books based on this breed and therefore don't know much about them other than what I have been reaqding from websites which I feel is not enough and would like to learn a bit more about the breed as I tihnk I'd have a better understanding of the breed if I knew what they were all about. I'd just like to thank everyone for helping me out here it's my first visit here and you lot are a very helpful and friendly bunch, thanks.

Guest Anonymous

I live in Angus, Scotland. There is a woman who lives about 20 mile away from where I live and she breeds the Cane Corso, Dogue De Brodeaux as well as Yorkies. I don't know very much about the Cane Corso as I am finding it really difficult to find books based on this breed and therefore don't know much about them other than what I have been reaqding from websites which I feel is not enough and would like to learn a bit more about the breed as I tihnk I'd have a better understanding of the breed if I knew what they were all about. I'd just like to thank everyone for helping me out here it's my first visit here and you lot are a very helpful and friendly bunch, thanks. :D

Guest Anonymous

I just wanted to say two unrelated things. One, I with I lived in the UK! I have always been gun shy as when my family live in Arkansas for several months in the back woods (Yes my mother was crazy) we were shot at in the woods by the crazy neighbor... I do not want to get onto gun controle laws... but it would be nicer if they were tighter. :(
And Two, how do get into breeding one of the largest breeds and one of the tiniest?!?!

[quote name='K']Aroura...are you being funny now? :o
"guest" suggests one of my dogs and then you suggest the other!!! :D
A Saint while without doubt being a GREAT pet (in both senses of the word)
will NOT make a good guarding dog!! they are also people friendly and the only deterrent they could offer is to drool excessively on your potential burgalar/armed robber and hope that they are disgusted enough to leave!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
In this house we don't expect our dogs to guard(just to alert,which they ARE good at) we will do the guarding and protecting here!![/quote]

Umm, wasn't trying to be 'funny', just fell in love with the breed and think they're a great breed for anyone who wants a big slobbery dog soft and snuggly dog thats gonna eat alot of food!!! Just figured I would never jump a fence with a Saint sittin behind it, however docile it was!!!! Just a gentle 'i love you' jump from a saint is enough to knock me down!!!
Not many well socialized dog of any breed is particulary good as a 'guard' dog, most dogs have to do the job just by looking big. It is possible though, to train any breed to attack on command, and still be friendly when told to be. A dog that is trained to attack can be a dangerous weapon if left in the wrong hands. That comment about guns before, I disagree with strongly, for anyone no matter how sane they are. Guns are illeagle in many countrys, and it is for a good reason too!

Guest Anonymous

the cane corso is an excellent guard dog you would'nt find a more devoted and loving breed and they do anything to please their masters also they are great fighting dogs

[quote name='Anonymous']I live in Angus, Scotland. There is a woman who lives about 20 mile away from where I live and she breeds the Cane Corso, Dogue De Brodeaux as well as Yorkies. I don't know very much about the Cane Corso as I am finding it really difficult to find books based on this breed and therefore don't know much about them other than what I have been reaqding from websites which I feel is not enough and would like to learn a bit more about the breed as I tihnk I'd have a better understanding of the breed if I knew what they were all about. I'd just like to thank everyone for helping me out here it's my first visit here and you lot are a very helpful and friendly bunch, thanks.[/quote][b]

I dont know much about the Cane Corso myself although i do recommend doing a good research of this particular breed, as well as trying to visit many kennels as you can (personally i would definately talk to many who show there dogs if you can track any down in the UK) but beware of backyard breeders who breed there dogs to gain from,..i think you might find it difficult to locate many good breeders though, there arnt many registered at the moment. The Dogue de Boerdeaux is similar too and a french cousin of the Bullmastiff, (the only difference is they have larger heads with a red muscle than the Bullmastiff, which as a black mask).
The Bullmastiff is also an excellent guard, devoted, and loving to there owners and they will do anything to please.

Have you tried DOGS TODAY AND YOUR DOG magazines, they have a list of breeders....and i am certain i have seen a show kennel that breeds Cane Corsos, there is a also a link that i found for the breed in one of those mags i just mentioned.

[url]www.cane-corso.com[/url]

We are always here to help!
GOOD LUCK. [/b]

[b]Hmm very strange! I do oppoligise...but the link to that address doesnt seem available, maybe they haven't registered it properly.

I will still lookout for you though, another thing i might add, from what the advert says, Cane Corsos are not registered in the uk at the moment.[/b]

Guest Anonymous

To look for breeders that you can talk to about Cane Corso's look into the breeders section on this site for breeders in the UK or into [url]www.dogfancy.com[/url] for breeders in the U.S..

Guest Anonymous

I have a Beautiful Purebred 5 Month old pup who needs a home/$300.00 This is a wonderful companion and rare breed. She was given as a gift and the owners couldnt keep her (she should top a 100lbs.) Id say do some research on this one and definitly give it some consideration.
Shes a beauty!!! I do not have papers on her and she needs to be spayed. She has been a real treat for everyone! If interested please reply to [url][email protected][/url]

Guest Anonymous

The Presa Canario aka Espanol del Dogo Canario also makes an excellent guard dog. Despite the bad press that this wondeful breed has had recently they are devoted to their family and would defend them with it's life. For more info try [url]http://www.dogocanario.org/[/url] a very useful site which eould let you know a lot more about this wonderful breed and it's origins.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']I am considering buying a puppy but I am not too sure which breed I'd like. I would like a breed of the Molosser/Mastiff type as the purpose of the dog I want is to guard my property and also be a good companion. I have considered the Neopolitan Mastiff but these dogs don't have a very long life span and I want a dog who is going to be around for longer than 7-8 years which is supposedly the lifespan of a Neo. I've also considered the Dogue De Bordeaux but my family thinks that they are "ugly" dogs and also have a lifespan similar to that of the Neopolitan Mastiff. My instincts tell me to go for the smaller type of Mastiff such as a Boerboel, Bullmastiff, Cane Corso or even a Rottweiler as they live longer than the other large Molosser dogs mentioned previously. I live in the UK so dogs like the Fila or Tosa are off the list. Can anyone recommend any suggestions?[/quote]
You might consider contacting breeders and see who is breeding for longevity as well as other health factors. Good breeders are certainly breeding for more than just looks or pups.
I know there are lines of Great Danes here in the US for example where the dogs live only 6-8 years and others where the dogs go on to 11-13 and even older. I've had several Danes that went well over 11 myself.
Once you get a dog whichever you choose keeping it healthy and fit will also help its longevity.