Dogomania

Puppy plays in cat litter

Bronxie

[b]Hi Bronxie.
My Border Collie used to do this and it got to the point where it was very annoying (dirty habit for a dog to get into) i suggest the litter tray be moved to another room if this is possible, so that your puppy wont be able to get near it only your cat, (i ended up doing this myself)...a cat flap would help so that only your cat can enter the room not the pup (thats if you dont mind have a hole in your door. If that isnt wise another solution is to say 'NO' to your pup everytime she goes towards it, SHE WILL LEARN IN TIME :roll: but if she is allowed to stay in the same room as your cat, her habit will get worse and it will eventually be difficult to stop her.

Hope this as helped!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PUP :)

[/b]

Guest Anonymous

Oh gross! Don't you hate that! Every pupppy I have had did that we just had to watch them. They soon out grew it though. I have heard some people say that the pups need more nutrients in their food. I personally think they just like it?? Good luck! :D

some methods i have used:
try a covered litter box with the mouth facing into a corner, pulled back just enough to allow the cat into it.
if you've got two bathrooms, try putting the litterbox into the bathtub--pup can't climb over it.
watch the pup and keep a squirt bottle in your hands at all time. when the pup goes to the box, spray the pup but don't say anything. this is to make it think that the litterbox and water are connected. or try a shake can for the same effect.

Hmmm I have actually never heard of that before! Kind of made me laugh at first with a picture on my mind of my pup doing that! :D Well all that I could recommened is the water bottle. When my pup was doing something she wasn't suppose to do she go a spray. She will "pretend" to be mad for a little while and not do but then she will come and play with you again!! :wink:

Another idea is put a sand box outside so she can play in it. Make sure it has a cover or you will have cats in it! - Previously posted in another reply, not sure who by though!- but thats all I could think of.

Maybe she/he is bored?? Maybe get a toy that keeps her attention BIG TIME!!!!

:D :D Good LUCK! :D :D

Guest Anonymous

Belive me Gizmo you know what your pup has been up to when they come up to you and you pick them up and they lick your face and their breath reeks like.. well you know!

Guest Anonymous

my sister's puppy did that too. She has 2 cats and one won't use the covered litter box. She has the one that actually cleans itself after each use.... The other strange thing is that the puppy starting using it for himself and now doesn't eat our of it. It's a toy dog.

[quote name='abusser']my sister's puppy did that too. She has 2 cats and one won't use the covered litter box. She has the one that actually cleans itself after each use.... The other strange thing is that the puppy starting using it for himself and now doesn't eat our of it. It's a toy dog.[/quote]

i wish my dog would start using it. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Bronxie']thanks u guys. im going to have to buy a litter box with a cover on it. I don't understand beacause Elle has a lot of great toys.. oh well. :o[/quote]
Kitty 'snacks' are yummy because cat food is higher in proteins than dog food is for them to get better nutrition out of it and the cat's gut does not fully digest the food as it is shorter in length than a dog's is - so pups recycle the perfectly good :roll: stuff from the litterbox with great joy.
Clumping litter in particular if you use it is dangerous for them to swallow so you shouldn't allow this 'snacking' plus some parasites can be transferred this way even between the two species.
Other ideas in case the lid doesn't work for you (mine just removed the lid or moved the box) put the box behind a baby gate, up on a counter, in a room where only the cat can get to it (I know people who have a cat door through their door to the cellar which is where they keep their cat box).
Good luck and don't worry your pup is normal doing normal doggy stuff :wink:

• 2 weeks later...