Dogomania

castration

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My vet had recomended or rather suggested that I wait 2 years to have my Akita castrated :o He says that will allow for full bone developement. I'd always heard of doing it much sooner as had everyone else I've talked to.Any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

Unless your Akita has some kind of something wrong with it I go for it! I don't know why your vet said that!? It will elimate the chances of him getting out and having an unwanted prencency. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='hamrhedd']My vet had recomended or rather suggested that I wait 2 years to have my Akita castrated :o He says that will allow for full bone developement. I'd always heard of doing it much sooner as had everyone else I've talked to.Any ideas?[/quote]
Your vet needs to go back to school and learn about neutering. The only thing neutering your dog will do is reduce testosterone and keep him from wanting to breed any females in season. If I was feeling cruel I'd say your vet wants your dog to be as large as possible before neutering so he can get the biggest fee possible for the job.
Why vets think dogs would be any different from other animals is beyond me - ask your vet which gets bigger a steer or a bull! (The biggest cattle are 'neutered' males or steers)
Even early neutering (8-16 weeks) has been proven to only make a dog a tiny bit taller when its done growing.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='hamrhedd']My vet had recomended or rather suggested that I wait 2 years to have my Akita castrated :o He says that will allow for full bone developement. I'd always heard of doing it much sooner as had everyone else I've talked to.Any ideas?[/quote]
Your vet needs to go back to school and learn about neutering. The only thing neutering your dog will do is reduce testosterone and keep him from wanting to breed any females in season. If I was feeling cruel I'd say your vet wants your dog to be as large as possible before neutering so he can get the biggest fee possible for the job.
Why vets think dogs would be any different from other animals is beyond me - ask your vet which gets bigger a steer or a bull! (The biggest cattle are 'neutered' males or steers)
Even early neutering (8-16 weeks) has been proven to only make a dog a tiny bit taller when its done growing.[/quote]

I guess we should be asking this 'Guest' for all our health questions.
Why would you neuter him before he gets his full growth? Dont you want him to grow the way nature intended? I have heard different 'OPINIONS' from vets about when to neuter.
BUT, all of them have no problem about waiting until he is 9months-1yr so as receives all the hormones that the dog gods wanted him to have.
What study has "PROVEN'" as you say that says early spay/neuturing will only make a dog a tiny bit taller when its done growing?
Oops, sorry i forgot, your the expert about neuturing?

Guest Anonymous

I just don't know why people have to be so rude. :roll: You could have told guest in a nice way that in your eyes he was wrong. Mabey the guest and I feel that it is better to get the dog fixed at a younger age to curb some of the male proublems like: digging, barking, aggression ext. I am not saying that will help 100% of the time but often enough that its worth it. So please, please people this forum has a big thing with rudness lets just try to say in nicer!! :wink:

[b] To K.
While we are on the topic about neautering, my Bullmastiff had the same problem with one testicle, that was still up in his scrotum.....i was also advised to get him neautered also, due to any problems that may occur later on.
He as just turned 3 years, and i had him done last September!

Hamrhedd it should not matter, most females are allowed to be done before there first season, so i cannot see a problem in males....its true what people say about most vets.....they are just after the money!

If your vet is telling you different, then change to someone else.[/b]

I have had two wonderful vets in my lifetime--Dr Robinson SR and Dr Yarborough. I cannot beleive that any vet would tell anyone to wait to nueter for the money. I beleive older vets, vets who have not been keeping current on new medicinal developments and procedures, might still adhere to the fears of anethesizing a young or small animal--that is is extremely dangerous. I know of a female that was spayed too early and had chronic infections as a result. However, I have never heard of any problem with a male. Some people tell me that if you don't nueter the males, they get very big and aggressive....many things affect growth and temperment, even things like feeding a wrong food! So I beleive nuetering before problems start is the best thing. You can consult another vet (or two) over the phone for free--a simple phone call asking if it would be better to nueter now or when the dog is grown. I beleive you will find that most vets tell you to nueter sooner rather than later.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='"Onyx44']

I guess we should be asking this 'Guest' for all our health questions.
Why would you neuter him before he gets his full growth? Dont you want him to grow the way nature intended? I have heard different 'OPINIONS' from vets about when to neuter.
BUT, all of them have no problem about waiting until he is 9months-1yr so as receives all the hormones that the dog gods wanted him to have.
What study has "PROVEN'" as you say that says early spay/neuturing will only make a dog a tiny bit taller when its done growing?
Oops, sorry i forgot, your the expert about neuturing?[/quote]

How about instead of just mouthing off out of ignorance you do some research? Its simple enough to look up online or in libraries about early spay neuter and the studies done on it. The study I was referring to was done at Angell Memorial in Boston where they studied littermates taking full measurements throughout life on siblings neutered young and at older ages. Guess what? NO changes other than the early spayed or nuetered dogs were a bit BIGGER by a tiny amount than their siblings were.
Plenty of online articles on plain old spay and neuter available too.
Full growth is stunted by the hormonal surges at adolescence. The hormone changes are what close down the growth plates quickly instead of letting them go to full growth.
Hogs are bigger than boars, steers are bigger than bulls, capons bigger than roosters and so it goes in the animal world and if you bother to investigate you'd know this kind of thing too.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Peng1zrule']snip faith in vets because you've been lucky :-)
I beleive older vets, vets who have not been keeping current on new medicinal developments and procedures, might still adhere to the fears of anethesizing a young or small animal--that is is extremely dangerous. I know of a female that was spayed too early and had chronic infections as a result. snip.[/quote]
Snipped up only to answer what you said that bothered me the rest was pretty good advocacy for neutering.
Spaying early does not cause infections - that is a problem with the dog or with the surgeon botching the job. Surgeons also can botch the job on older females - it happens.
Old anesthetics were more hazardous for small or young animals - the new ones (and why patronize a vet not using the best?) are not a problem to the extent the old ones were with complications being far rarer with the newer gases. There is tons of evidence pro early spay neuter for anyone who wants to look for it.
As most dogs dumped by owners seem to be adolescent males that are intact just that alone IMO should convince owners that neutering is in their and their dog's best interests.

Guest Anonymous

Find another vet and get your Akita neutered. Akitas have enough behavioral challenges for you, let alone dealing with the raging hormones of a young male dog - believe me, you don't need more training challenges.

Gotta love those Kitas! I sure do.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Shannon_C'][b] snip
most females are allowed to be done before there first season, snip.[/b][/quote]

WHAT? I hope you did not mean that as you wrote it - its well known that the major health benefits to the bitch come from spaying before the first heat and bitches should never be allowed to have one or more heats before being spayed unless they are dogs being held intact for breeding or show purposes! That bit about wait until after the first heat is an old old wives tale and I certainly hope no vets still practicing believe it! Thats how so many bitches get pregnant too young and so many unwanted pups come into the world!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='Shannon_C'][b] snip
most females are allowed to be done before there first season, snip.[/b][/quote]

WHAT? I hope you did not mean that as you wrote it - its well known that the major health benefits to the bitch come from spaying before the first heat and bitches should never be allowed to have one or more heats before being spayed unless they are dogs being held intact for breeding or show purposes! That bit about wait until after the first heat is an old old wives tale and I certainly hope no vets still practicing believe it! Thats how so many bitches get pregnant too young and so many unwanted pups come into the world![/quote]
OOPS Shannon_C my apologies! I swapped in the not from the beginning of the phrase you wrote and read it as 'not spayed before first heat' instead of as you wrote it - that 'not spayed before first heat' bit is the one I *still* hear people using as an excuse for why they have a litter of pups to dump. Sorry again for misreading your statement.

[b] My husband and myself will be getting 2 female Bullmastiffs in the near future, and both will be spayed before there first season!

We are not into showing so that would not be a problem for us, although we do go occasionally to see the breed and meet friends! (The dogs are our pets, whome we adore).

[/b]

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the input, I met with my vet again today[whom I do actually trust quite a bit] and he says that if I want the full head development I should wait even up to three years unless theres any sign of aggression. He did happen to mention that he did his two rotti's, one at six months and one at eleven so I think it is a head growth issue with Akitas and not a standard across the board for all breeds. Thats one thing I love about the Akitas is the massive heads so Im gonna wait and see what happens. My father in law has the litter mate and hes getting done next week, it'll be interesting to see the difference between the two as they get older although they look very different already :)

Guest Anonymous

I still disagree with your vet. Testosterone has nothing to do with growth and development - genetics do. IMO you are asking for trouble not having him nuetered before the raging hormones phase. It is true that Akitas do not finish growing until they are about 3-4 years old.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='hamrhedd']Thanks for all the input, I met with my vet again today[whom I do actually trust quite a bit] and he says that if I want the full head development I should wait even up to three years unless theres any sign of aggression. He did happen to mention that he did his two rotti's, one at six months and one at eleven so I think it is a head growth issue with Akitas and not a standard across the board for all breeds. Thats one thing I love about the Akitas is the massive heads so Im gonna wait and see what happens. My father in law has the litter mate and hes getting done next week, it'll be interesting to see the difference between the two as they get older although they look very different already :)[/quote]
Your vet is still totally wrong on this it has nothing to do with development at all.
If the two pups are different looking now they will be different looking later and neutering or not neutering won't change a thing in that respect.

Guest Anonymous

Obviously neutering will do nothing to change the difference in looks other than the fact that they have the exact same head size right now. Guest, you seem so adament about my vet, I was wondering if you were a vet yourself?If not I was wondering what you were baseing your info on.

Snipped up only to answer what you said that bothered me the rest was pretty good advocacy for neutering.
Spaying early does not cause infections - that is a problem with the dog or with the surgeon botching the job. Surgeons also can botch the job on older females - it happens.

I'm sorry you misunderstood me, I should have been clearer, I didn't mean not to spay early because it would cause problems, I only meant that the only drawback I had ever knew of was one dog who was done at eight weeks and had chronic UTI's. I don't know how common it is, but I've only heard of one dog having this problem, so I imagine it is not a rampant danger.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I have decided to have my 2 Pits neutered. I am not doing this for any reason accept this:

By having Hollywood & Hercules fixed I will be putting them in less of a compromising position for them. I asked myself that question, why would I put my 2 best friends in any type of compromising position. I won't.

-Hollywood

Guest Anonymous

Im not an expert on this, but i dont think it is nessesary for you to have to wait until your dog is 3 years old. We are taking my puppy to the vet tommorow. I'll ask him what age he thinks is best. I guess it is just what vet you ask. mayby you should get out the phone book and see what diffrent vets say.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='beagle88']I just don't know why people have to be so rude. :roll: You could have told guest in a nice way that in your eyes he was wrong. Mabey the guest and I feel that it is better to get the dog fixed at a younger age to curb some of the male proublems like: digging, barking, aggression ext. I am not saying that will help 100% of the time but often enough that its worth it. So please, please people this forum has a big thing with rudness lets just try to say in nicer!! :wink:[/quote]]

A-MAN! whay is everyone so rude with their replies?? cant you answer without insulting what someone thinks?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='hamrhedd']Obviously neutering will do nothing to change the difference in looks other than the fact that they have the exact same head size right now. Guest, you seem so adament about my vet, I was wondering if you were a vet yourself?If not I was wondering what you were baseing your info on.[/quote]
I've dealt with a wide variety of veterinarians over the years - some really know their stuff and some perpetuate myths they learned as kids not in vet school.
You know what they call someone who graduates in the bottom of their veterinary class? Doctor! :roll: same as the ones that graduate in the top of their class.
I know from reading veterinary medical journals and from dealing with vets who *really* know their stuff on topics, and who do research on the ones they don't know or are not sure about, that the vet you are dealing with is not working with the latest information on the subject. There are complete studies out there on the differences actually seen in dogs that are early spayed or nuetered and ones that are spayed or nuetered later and the ones left intact. Your vet's statements as given to us by you seem to strongly indicate your vet has not read any of the studies...

• 8 months later...

I'm definitely no expert, but I also think that the vet is wrong in saying to wait to have the dog neutered. I've had horses for most of my life, and there is the same type of myth that if you wait to geld a stallion, that he will get taller or bigger when, in fact, the opposite is true. The longer you wait to have a male dog neutered, the more testosterone you'll have to deal with.