Dogomania

Desperately in need of advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I think i might be in love with this puppy that i held at a pet store...i knew i shouldn't have done it but she was too cute to pass by.

i do not want to buy a dog from a petstore for so many reasons but in doing the research i have found out that none of the shelsters by me have anything even close to what i want....most of them don't even havy small puppies at all and it has to be a puppy for many reasons having to do with bringing the dog up myself.

any advice?

Guest Anonymous

I came across your message, and can completely understand where you're coming from. In my oppinion, a shelter dog is better than a puppy...you're rescuing an animal that might be killed soon. They'll also be more loyal and faithful to you, because they understand that you're saving their lives, by taking good care of them and getting them out of those cages. As a HUGE dog lover, I'd say give those fighting pound-hounds a chance!!

Guest Anonymous

I totaly disagree with the statement made about a shelter dog being more faithful and loyal than a dog raised from the get go by you. That is just a very opinionated, uneducated statement.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-05-11 12:50, rhondajs wrote:
I came across your message, and can completely understand where you're coming from. In my oppinion, a shelter dog is better than a puppy...you're rescuing an animal that might be killed soon. They'll also be more loyal and faithful to you, because they understand that you're saving their lives, by taking good care of them and getting them out of those cages. As a HUGE dog lover, I'd say give those fighting pound-hounds a chance!!
[/quote]

I also disagree with your comment about being more loyal and faithful.
I am all for people to adopt from shelters but they must also realise that although they are saving a life they could also be inheriting problems with it, so taking on a shelter dog is a wonderful thing to do but you must be prepared for whatever problems you get with it and to be prepared to re-educate it.

I would not rehome a dog that has no history from the shelter,for the fear of the dogs behaviour towards my kids, you just never know what you are taking on board.

I would advise the postee to inform the shelter that they are looking for a pup and would they notify them if one become available, some dogs come in pregnant!
I think it's better to do that than buy from pet store.

Guest Anonymous

I am a breeder and think MOST of us are more reliable to get dogs from. I am suprised so many people say not to buy from a pet store since a dog is being mistreated and their lives are in jeopardy. You would be saving a life just as if you were going to a shelter.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-05-12 07:59, Anonymous wrote:
I am a breeder and think MOST of us are more reliable to get dogs from. I am suprised so many people say not to buy from a pet store since a dog is being mistreated and their lives are in jeopardy. You would be saving a life just as if you were going to a shelter.
[/quote]
I agree. If someone doesn't get the puppy from the store, it may end up at a shelter, in the same situation as other shelter dogs are already in. Either way, you are helping a dog find a good home.

I agree with Cadies_Mom,if you don't get the puppy who knows, it might end up in a shelter anyway?
If you love this puppy, grab it while its still there, or I know you'll regret it later. It'll love you all the same and you will know its going to a good home.

Statements that getting a dog from a shelter and getting a dog from a puppy store are the same are bogus and uneducated.

If you get a dog from a shelter, you are saving a life...and I assure you...we do not go out and buy somemore. Sadly, we will have more because of those who will not neuter/spay; those who want just one litter;those who buy on impulse etc.

Pet stores buy from puppy mills and as long as people keep on buying this sad product....puppy mills will continue to have a market.

If no one buys...then there is no market.

It is a supply and demand issue. Yes, a reputable breeder is a fine source...as is a shelter. Small shelters such as we run know our dogs and their temperment.

Guest Anonymous

okay, so go save the dog in the shelter and let the pup in the pet store have a terrible life or die. Makes sense to me.
AND not all dogs in shelters were just abondend for no reason. Some people drop them somewhere -and I dont think its right to do so- because they were aggressive. Not all shelters do aggressiveness tests. One more thing, not all pet stores get their pups from mills.

By buying pet store puppies, people are only filling the demand to create more. You (figuratively) might "save" that one. However, you've created a demand to replace that one. Now multiply that by the gazillions of other folks creating that demand and it's easy to see how puppy mills stay in business. I feel as sorry as anyone could for puppies in pet stores, but buying them is NOT saving them. It's simply creating a demand for more puppies. Pet store puppies are generally not temperament tested, or health tested any more so than shelter dogs, so you take the same risks re temperament and health either way. It just makes people feel better to be able to justify purchasing pet store puppies by thinking they "rescued" them. There is no reason to think that buying a puppy from a pet store ensures that it will be healthier and more stable tempered than one who is adopted. How I know this? I "rescued" a cute little 10 week old Lhasa Apso puppy from a pet store. A fresh start with a new life. She has been in every kind of social environment, obedience trained and never mistreated in any way. Out of 7 other rescue dogs in my household (coming from shelters, strays, etc.), this dog is now a 4 year old allergy prone menace. Horrible disposition (believe it or not, temperament is inherited and so are allergies), dog aggressive, snappy to strangers and allergic to everything under the sun. I paid $600 to "rescue" her, not to mention the mega $$ I've spent on allergy treatments/special diets, testing and formal training. She was "rescued" from a high profile store that offers "health guarantees" (yeah, right). Just a heads up. Don't be fooled into thinking a pet store "purebred" is any healthier than any other dog whether it be in a shelter, a rescue organization, or a stray from the streets. You'll take your chances either way. I just wish people would at least be honest enough to admit that when they buy these pet store puppies, they bought them because they just flat out wanted them and stop trying to justify it as a "rescue." If there wasn't a demand (by YOU, the consumer) to fill the pet stores with puppies, there would be no need to "rescue" them.

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys thanks so much for helping me make a my choice, it seems the half the world is pro pet store pups and the other half against. well i decided to go a different direction for two reasons.
1.) i saw the pup again and she was just very calm in a disconcerting way...very overly calm...i always think of pups as fun and playful and wagging their tails or trying to escape when you are meeting them for the first time.
2.) we found this wonderful lady who loves her pups very much and take the utmost of care for them and goes through a screning process before selling her dogs to anyone and she has an 11 week old pup of the same breed (mini schnauzer) and she's a girl like the one i saw in the shop so hopefully i'll be getting just as cute and adorable of a puppy but ill know what her background is and that she comes from a lady who loved her and that shes got a good temperment.

anyway thanks a lot guys you have helped my wracking brain quite a bit.

That's great! I'd feel much better about that decision, too. My own Mini Schnauzer came to me as a stray at about the age of 5-6 years old. He's a wonderful dog. Some things to know... Schnauzers do tend to be vocal dogs. Just thought you'd like to know. I work with LOTS of Schnauzers and most of them are very "talkative." Another thing to consider... before actually making the purchase, be sure to contact your area groomers for grooming rates to be sure you can commit to it. Many people have bought high maintenance dogs and THEN decided they couldn't afford the maintenance. Schnauzers typically should be groomed at least every 6 weeks or so. Be shopping around for a groomer you can be comfortable with. Another thing... Schnauzers require LOTS of positive reinforcement, but you have to assert your position as top dog. They do tend to like to challenge authority, if given the opportunity (it's the terrier in them!). However, TOO firm a hand often results in them becoming fearful and reclusive. You have to be assertive without being too aggressive if that makes sense. Ask the breeder (here's hoping she's an honest one) about any skin problems in the parents. Schnauzers are prone to skin problems. Gosh, I'm rambling, but I'm really excited for you and Schnauzers are one of my favorite breeds. Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

Hear Hear!!! Don't promote by buying from pet stores

[quote]
On 2002-05-14 04:41, sixjollydogs wrote:
Statements that getting a dog from a shelter and getting a dog from a puppy store are the same are bogus and uneducated.

If you get a dog from a shelter, you are saving a life...and I assure you...we do not go out and buy somemore. Sadly, we will have more because of those who will not neuter/spay; those who want just one litter;those who buy on impulse etc.

Pet stores buy from puppy mills and as long as people keep on buying this sad product....puppy mills will continue to have a market.

If no one buys...then there is no market.

It is a supply and demand issue. Yes, a reputable breeder is a fine source...as is a shelter. Small shelters such as we run know our dogs and their temperment.
[/quote]

This is to the person who stated that not all puppies in pet stores are from puppy mills, Yes, you are right....some of them are the culls from unethical breeders. NO caring and responsible breeder is selling pups through pet stores.

The person who wanted the pup made a very wise choice...go to a good and ethical breeder who really cares about the pups and where they are going.

I have worked with shelter dogs for years...and the percentage of them that "have problems"....or are aggressive is has been less than the purebreds I see in my advance obedience class.

Too many uncaring or uneducated backyard breeders are inbreeding or breeding for "type" to the detriment of the breeds health. ( I am not slamming breeders...only the ones who breed because they want to make $$$$ and care nothing for the breed's future.

I am sure you mean well but I would suggest that you talk to folks who have gotten pet store pups....yep...some happy endings...but all too many that are not....and as already stated...each time you buy...that reinforces the cruelty of puppy mill breeding.

Lastly, you might want to do some research on the genetic problems that are now showing up in some breeds due to careless breeding:

Danes with bone cancer
Schnauzer with eye problems
Labs, shepards and some other large breeds with hip dysplasia
Red rotties sold as rare when in reality they are the result of inbreeding and can have a host of genetic problems
Dalmations with deafness
Cockers with rage syndrome
Bull dogs that can not have pups without a cesearean.

Lots of others...but gives you an idea. Please do not take my remarks as a slam...if I did not value your opinion...I would not try to influence it.

Guest Anonymous

And one more I just have to add. BEAGLES are very LOUD!!!!!! (but great dogs) Our neighbors love my beagle........kidding

Guest Anonymous

If you have found a particular breed you want why not go to [url]http://www.akc.org[/url] and find the national or a local breed club to contact for information on responsible breeders?
Buying from a pet store often gets you a higher price tag than a responsible breeder charges for a pup that may well have health and temperament problems and will likely have behavior and training issues due to the way it was raised and kept while young (including its pet store time).

[quote]
On 2002-05-11 11:50, IdolRock wrote:
I think i might be in love with this puppy that i held at a pet store...i knew i shouldn't have done it but she was too cute to pass by.

i do not want to buy a dog from a petstore for so many reasons but in doing the research i have found out that none of the shelsters by me have anything even close to what i want....most of them don't even havy small puppies at all and it has to be a puppy for many reasons having to do with bringing the dog up myself.

any advice?
[/quote]