Dogomania

Outside

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Could it affect my dog to be outside when no one is home? She's normally outside while I'm at school, for about six hours. She's very happy and healthy, and she gets lots of exercise becuase our retired neighbors love coming over to our house to play with her when she's outside. but I'm still worried whether this could cause emotionally damage or something to happen to her.

As long as your dog is safely confined, has room to stretch, has shade for warm/hot days, a warm area for cold days, has an adequate house for shelter from the elements, has cool clean water to drink all day long, is not in danger of being attacked by any roaming dogs, does not wear a choke type collar while unattended, gets to come inside and be with her family at night, I think being outside can be just fine.
If I left out anything that others feel is important, feel free to add on.
My house has a doggie door, my dogs have access to my entire house plus the double fenced back yard while I am at work. They have water inside and out, my neighbor checks on them throughout the day.
If they did NOT have an outlet to run and play with each other outside, I would come home to very tightly wound dogs who had had no exercise during the day. Granted they are still ready for a romp at the dog park when I get home, but if that is not possible, they are happy enough with me throwing a ball in the yard with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Carol. You forgot to mention toys lol.
If your area is a safe place from would be thieves, then by all means leave your dog outside, otherwise it would be wiser and much safer to leave indoors. You could ask your neighbour to go round to let your dog out, or stay there till you return.

Shannon
Bullmastiff Owner, Researcher and Lover of the Breed!