Dogomania

Aiming out of the crate

Cora

My dog is 5 months old and is crated. It doesn't matter if I am gone for 6 hours or 1 hour, he aims his urine OUT of the wire cage so it ends up right outside the door. I chose the wire crates because he really panics in the plastic crates. I always take him outside to pee before. At night when he sleeps with me he is fine for anywhere from 5-7 hours so I am not sure why he pees and aims out. It's not a small amount of urine either. Any suggestions to help me? All I can think of is foil to make an unpleasant sound when he tries it. I guess I was wondering if I am the only one this has happened to!

This isn't a training suggestion (because I am too bleary eyed and typing with one eye open at this point, anyway), but more a practical suggestion just for where the pee lands.

Try putting something like a vinyl/pastic/rubber (whatever... waterproof) shower curtain down beneath the crate, and center the crate on it so that you have a good bit of it surrounding the crate. At least the pee won't be soaking the floors, furniture, whatever else is near, and it'll just wipe up easily. You could throw some old towels down on top of that to help absorb any mess and keep it from running off... you'd just still want to have that waterproof backing.

If you have the space, you can also get one of those small plastic kiddy pools and just set the crate over in it temporarily. It'll serve the same purpose (theoretically).

Is the little feller neutered? At five months, probably not, but it's getting about that time. Sounds like he may be developing a marking habit since he has sense enough to aim AWAY from the area he has to sleep in. The longer it goes on, the more engrained it becomes as a habit, therefore more difficult to break.

A good rule of thumb for a puppy is they can hold their urine for about one hour for every month of age. Example for a three month old pup they shouldn't be left for more than 3 hours. It also depends on the breed. Some dogs will just learn to control it faster than others. However, I use the one hour per month until they are at least 6 months. If the dog is starting to mark and that is a distint possibilty. They have the belly bands for male dogs. Basically a diaper. That usually breaks the habit pretty quit. They don't like that feeling. Also if the crate is big enough for the dog to stand at the front and hike its leg and go out side the crate, the crate is probably to big for the dog. I would section it off and not give as much room for playing in there. JMHO.

He gets a lot of exercise, 2-3 long walks a day and then sees my neighboor for 1-4 hours to run around in a fenced yard with her 2 dogs. However, I think hounds are very high energy and I am very inpatient for a doggie door where I can close off my back room and let him go outside in a fenced yard. He really only urinates when he is in the crate. Which also make me wonder if it is a fear reaction or anger from being away from me. (He likes to sleep in the crate when I am there). I have an appointment to get him neutered in the next month. I do not think 6 hours is a long time as I let him sleep with me and he usually waits longer than that before waking me up to go outside. As I said earlier too he will do it in 1 hour of being in there. I always thought the diaper was ridiculas but your right, bet that would stop him! I'll probably do the plastic though. I think more than anything because he is getting testosterone and teething at the same time I am just wanting support! I am single and work full time. I was silly to get a puppy but now my only choice is to give him back to the pound and that breaks my heart! He could get old and die there. I think he is better off with me. Three friends have told me to get rid of him but I really think once he gets neutered, teething is done and I give him a fenced yard he will be a lot better.

[quote name='raven']First of all, I think, 6 hours in a crate is way too much.

[/quote]

How about ONE hour? The post read:
[quote]It doesn't matter if I am gone for 6 hours or [b][i]1 hour[/i][/b][/quote]

Some dogs do great with belly bands. Mine chewed them off if I weren't right there to make them stop. I was just never really able to have any luck with them except for older, incontinent dogs that just kind of constantly dribbled.

For some smaller dogs or puppies, I have put them in a kennel/crate large enough to accomodate a litter box. Some people debate this being a good/bad idea, the argument being that it encourages soiling their crates, but I had good luck with it. When I knew I had to be gone for several hours, I wanted my small dogs or puppies to have a way to relieve themselves if necessary. I trained several dogs this way and, years later, have not had a problem with them soiling their crates. None of them have the litter boxes now and can hold it fine for a few hours. However, some of them are approaching their senior years, and I think I like the idea of knowing they can use a litter box when they get older and start having less control. Since they are already familiar with it, I don't think it will be a problem. That way, if they have to be crated for several hours or if we are running late, they won't be forced to hold it, or forced to go where they lay and have to wade in it until someone gets home. For me, sometimes it's less about "teaching them a lesson" and more about finding practical alternatives.

Still, it sounds like your guy is just developing a marking habit, not a "I can't hold it" habit. However, if you are gone for more than a few hours at a time, it may not be a bad idea to give him an alternative potty area in the house if something like a doggy door isn't practical.

I did not want to start another discussion - as I'm fairly new to this board, I did not know that this is one of the endless religously fought discussions... :oops:

I did crate train Simba, but I never leave him in there for a very long time.

Also I do not believe, that a dog would get angry because the owner is not here and would then do something destructive, 'just to show him/her'.

5 months is a difficult age and it probably won't be easier in the next couple of weeks. Simba started to act out when he was around 9 months. When we got him with 6 months, we definitely did not know what to do. All I can say, though, it's worth going through. We have so much fun with him - I can't imagine how life was before him. :bday:

Do you go to a dog school? That will help you getting direct advise and talk to people with the same problem - also, you may find that your dog needs the mental challenge as well. Simba is usually more tired after dogschool than when he's running around.

My trainer said a dog door is fine, just try to learn what plants are in the yard to see if any of them are poisonous. ( I don't have too much in the yard). He does chew rocks but is at 5 months and I think in 1-2 months he will be past this when teething is done. I haven't seen him swallow anything but grass though.

• 17 years later...

If your dog is peeing outside of their crate, it could be a sign of a few different issues. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Medical issues: If your dog is suddenly having accidents outside of their crate, it's possible that they have an underlying medical issue. Take your dog to the vet to rule out any potential health issues that could be causing this behavior.

2. Size of crate: If your dog's crate is too big, they may be using one end as a bathroom and sleeping in the other. Make sure the crate is an appropriate size for your dog's needs.

3. Training: Make sure your dog is properly crate trained. This means that they view their crate as a safe and comfortable space, and are not using it as a bathroom.

4. Schedule: Ensure that your dog is being taken out frequently enough to relieve themselves. Puppies, for example, may need to go out every 1-2 hours during the day.

5. Behavioral issues: If your dog is still having accidents despite being properly trained and having no medical issues, it may be a behavioral issue. In this case, consider seeking the help of a professional dog trainer or behaviorist.

Remember to remain patient and consistent when addressing this issue with your dog. With time and proper training, you can help them develop good bathroom habits both inside and outside of their crate.