Dogomania

Bad Fetch

candy722

My Toki knows how to fetch and he would only fetch with treats. If I don't offer him treats he makes me do the fetching. I would throw a rope and then he picks it up then brings it to me but he won't drop it for me to throw it. HE would make me chase him. But If there's treats then he would drop the rope. How do I make him drop the rope without offering him treats?

I tried that but it doesn't work on him. He won't fetch unless he smells and sees the treat on my hand then he would go fetch and bring it back to me. I want him to fetch without me giving him treats. I guess he knows that I always have treats in my hand if I want to make him do something. If he sees nothing on my hand then no fetch. He will do all of the other tricks without treats except for fetch. Any other techniques?

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Or you could let him sniff the treat, untill he drops the rope, then hide it behind your back and throw the rope again.

None of my dogs are good at fetching, they just stand there and look at me like, "you expect me to go get that, you're the one that threw it"

:lol:
Well I guess your daughter got some excercise. My one dog only fetches inside, outside he just starts eating dandelions if I throw the kong for him - its extra strange because if we are just out for a walk he ignores dandelions. I really wonder why he made that connection - strange dog.