Dogomania

Cockerpoos, Shi-Poos, and the works

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I really do disagree with mixing breeds these days. I understand that is how we got the purebreds today, but people need to realize that we do not need anymore new breeds. Do they not understand that mutt breeding just shouldn't be done? Most of them are in it only for the moey, which is obviously wrong. It irks me to see innocent animals being treated that way by BYB's and Puppy Millers. :evil: I have had my fair share of arguments on the topic, and I rarely walk away with a high head because people think these mutts are cute and need to be bred 24/7. :agrue:

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

So I started this dog obedience class yesterday with my foster dog and I could not believe what I heard. One of the people in the class has a Labradoodle. I was so shocked and disgusted all at once. Apparently they were very proud of their mutt dog and even bragged that it came from a BREEDER in Tennessee!!

Why would anyone PURPOSEFULLY breed a Labrador and a Poodle??? My God! Aren't there enough homeless mixes out there? I love all dogs, but I can't believe that with all of the PUREBREDS out there that can't find good homes that some people will pay over $2,000!! YES! You read that right... $2,000!!! for a mix!

Unbelievable! I'm so angry, I'm beside myself! I don't even want to look at this lady and her (sorry to say it... ugly dog). And I normally think all dogs are beautiful, it's just that the fact that she bought him as a pup from a clearly unscrupulous breeder just irks me. I know it's not the dog's fault... but I'm just livid about this. Then of course I thought well Dogomania must have a topic regarding this and sure enough.... here it is...

Sorry to bring it back after all this time, but I'm just so enraged! I'd never heard of this before and I'm dealing with it quite badly actually. Sorry to vent... just needed to get it all out before the next class or I will seriously have to hurt that woman!

Thanks.

I will throw a spanner in the works here :P

Standard poodles were originally crossed with yellow Labradors years ago as a research exepriment by guide dogs for the blind association. Poodles are the 2nd most intelligent dogs and learn quickly and the Labrador was crossed for its disposition of calm and willingness.

ALL of our recognised breeds were crossed at one point in evolutionary history. They are all consolidated in relation to their same chromosome number (78 ). I do disagree with crossing breeds and trying to create a separate gene pool, as there are already a diverse number of dogs(over 400 recognised worldwide and up to double that number not classified). However if that dog cross breeding is to provide a service dog and a dog that will work, as all dogs should, then I would be in favour of it.

New fashion breeds however will not have a place in the show ring in the near future, and most judges unanimously agree that they are under enough pressure to judge too many breeds as it is, and wouldn't encourage new "breeds".