Dogomania

HELP! Lab suddenly terrified of Crate

Morgan'sMom

Hello!
I have a 2 year old Chocolate lab who is all of a sudden terrified of her crate, which she normally loves. She's been going into her crate voluntarily everyday for 2 years, but last week all of a sudden she won't go in. My husband & I can't think of any trama/reason that caused this but it's stressing all of us out because she needs to be in there while we're at work.
Any help/advise anyone can give me to rectify this & get her back to normal would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Morgan's Mom

[QUOTE=Morgan'sMom;232392]Hello!
I have a 2 year old Chocolate lab who is all of a sudden terrified of her crate, which she normally loves. She's been going into her crate voluntarily everyday for 2 years, but last week all of a sudden she won't go in. My husband & I can't think of any trama/reason that caused this but it's stressing all of us out because she needs to be in there while we're at work.
Any help/advise anyone can give me to rectify this & get her back to normal would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Morgan's Mom[/QUOTE]

Hi Morgan'sMom.

Could it be that you have recently moved her crate to a different
place or room, once dogs are used to a certain spot they aren't
usually happy about being moved, but if this isn't the case you
could try placing her food inside her crate or a favourite toy and
encourage her in, talking gently to her.....letting her know its
safe to enter praising her all the time.

However patience is required and it may take some time,
not knowing what caused her fear in the first place,
its not going to be easy.

Good Luck :)

Thanks for the advice Shannon. Unfortunately we haven't done ANYTHING different-crate hasn't moved, etc. We've started all over with crate training like we did when she was a puppy. We've started feeding her in there etc.
Oddly once she's in there she's fine AS LONG as MTV is on! How funny is that?! I think perhaps she's just going through a teenager phase! :)

[QUOTE=Morgan'sMom;232412]
Oddly once she's in there she's fine AS LONG as MTV is on! How funny is that?! I think perhaps she's just going through a teenager phase! :)[/QUOTE]

Yes maybe lol they do seem to pick up on our habits don't they, well at least she is going back in there thats a good start :)

Crate training is a wonderful idea, as I have just started using it for my
puppy and she loves it in there :)

Pleased everything is going so well now!