Dogomania

Tricks for Dogs

Okay, so most of you know that I have Stealth and he is 16 months old and is a Black Lab. He knows how to sit, lay, stay, and jump for a treat- We are wanting to teach him new tricks. We are working on shake however it is not really working. Does anyone have any ideas? I want to get the whole shake thing down, but I would like for him to roll over and all and all the other cool tricks- suggestions will be great!

For those who suggested NILIF- THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are doing much better- there are days where we have better ones but THANK YOU!

A way to get rid of hubby and Stealth while I clean!
[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/jessicaholsinger/Stealth%20Pics/DSCF0086.jpg[/img]

put Stealth in a sit, you can use NILIF to train tricks too. pick up his paw, say SHAKE, shake it, and then treat. nothing too special, just a tiny thing. after a few trials of this, hold out your hand, and treat, and say SHAKE. dont treat him till he actually lifts his paw and hands it to you.

after a few repititions he'll get it. as he gets better, make the treats better, til he has it down pat.

I taught mine "speak" this way. they would start to bark and I would yell SPEAK!! and treat them. food hounds that they both are (lab and hound...gluttons of the dog world) they picked it up in about 3 tries...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

well i am glad to see that i am not the only one to put hunny in crate :)

my dogs can do a myriad of tricks. i did notice tho that in your basic list you didn't include a recall command like come or front. does stealth come when called? this is vital if you don't have it.

i'll give you a list of the tricks my dogs do but there is no way in hades i could type out how to train each right now. pick a couple and pm me if you want specifics.

aside from the basics (sit, down, stay, wait, come, stand, heel, etc) they can spin in a circle and twirl in a circle the other direction. they shake with either paw, wave with either paw, high five, speak, balance a treat on snout, snuggle (place head on your lap), yummy (lick lips when i say the word yummy), roll over, weave when i walk, kiss, touch, fetch, pick things up for me, put toys in a box, the list goes on but this gives you some ideas.

If you have a clicker, you get sometimes catch them doing a random behaviour, click it (i.e.: reinforce it). Keep doing it, introduce a verbal command, and voila!

I taught Sam to bow on command (basically looks like a play bow) by catching him doing a real play-bow, reinforcing it, and adding the command "bow".

I know somebody who taught their dog to sneeze on command using this technique.

What about teaching him to curl up in a box? I just taught one of mine to do that. It's horribly cute! I call it "cubism." It's amazing how little of a box you can use. Austin's around 65lbs and the box is 12 inches high, 18 inches long, and 12 inches wide.

Or spin in a circle (also useful for cleaning muddy paws off).