Dogomania

Scam warning

BuddysMom

I wanted to tell you all this in light of the recent poster asking for money.

This was a different scam and it stung a local aquaintance. In this case it was over purchase of a horse but could easily happen with a dog.

A man claiming to be from U.K. started emailing expressing interest in purchasing a horse. He sent cashier's check for large amount promising to pay the rest for overseas shipping later. The seller (our local lady) deposited the check and funds became available, so she thought the check was good.

Then this man called and said his father had become ill and he couldn't afford the horse. He asked for a refund to be wired. She did so. A couple days later (and over five days from beleiving the check had cleared) the bank called and said the check was a fake. She was liable for it all.

Warning that 1. there are people out there doing this 2. even a cashiers check can be fake, and 3. even after funds are available it doesn't mean the check is good. IMO the bank also made a mistake not catching it sooner.

This is a common ebay scam. Here is how it usually goes: Buyer from Nigeria buys something expensive from you. They send you cashiers check for maybe triple the amount of the item. They then send you an email saying "Sorry I realized I overpaid alot, and I need to get refunded for the amount I overpaid immediately. I have a dying _______ (insert whoever here) and I need to pay for medical bills. They are basically hoping that you refund the difference before your bank realizes its a phony check. Word to the wise: Always wait 10 days before shipping something paid for with a cashiers check or money order. Or, if its a shifty country like Nigeria (not saying the people there are shifty, just the ones who use ebay) make them wire you money via Western Union.

[quote name='drjeffrock']This is a common ebay scam. Here is how it usually goes: Buyer from Nigeria buys something expensive from you. They send you cashiers check for maybe triple the amount of the item. They then send you an email saying "Sorry I realized I overpaid alot, and I need to get refunded for the amount I overpaid immediately. I have a dying _______ (insert whoever here) and I need to pay for medical bills. They are basically hoping that you refund the difference before your bank realizes its a phony check. Word to the wise: Always wait 10 days before shipping something paid for with a cashiers check or money order. Or, if its a shifty country like Nigeria (not saying the people there are shifty, just the ones who use ebay) make them wire you money via Western Union.[/quote]

Good advice. I would also, in addition to waiting 10 days get it in writing from my bank that they verify that a check is authentic.