Dogomania

Sporting Group

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

So all the other Groups so far have been done in alphabetically, straight through. Then we get to the Sporting Group, and they're divided into sub-groups (Pointers, Retrievers, Setters, Spaniels, etc). What gives?

The hounds aren't divided into "sight" and "scent" or anything

and also because the sporting group is considered the most "diverse"...look at how many different breeds of sporting dogs there are, and each one was developed to do one or two specific jobs. Labs originally brought fish nets to land, thus the double waterproof coat. they didnt become bird dogs until later. the standard for a lab is to have a "tail like an otter, thick, strong, and can clear a table in a single sweep."
setters flush, retrievers bring back, pointers point. they were all developed for different purposes. they can be trained in any of the above, but were designed with a specific purpose in mind. then you work in where they will work, temperatures, will they be water or land dogs, and the traits change again. Hounds were developed for one basic purpose, in all different parts of the world, but in all of them, they were bred to hunt. to "hound" their quarry as it were, outrun it, like a greyhound or foxhound, or follow it til its exhausted, like a bloodhound.
Much like terriers, but usually in a bigger package, for bigger prey.

does that help?

[quote name='courtnek']Hounds were developed for one basic purpose, in all different parts of the world, but in all of them, they were bred to hunt. to "hound" their quarry as it were, outrun it, like a greyhound or foxhound, or follow it til its exhausted, like a bloodhound.
Much like terriers, but usually in a bigger package, for bigger prey.

does that help?[/quote]

Or as in a pack of Rhodesian Ridgeback's; to track the prey and hold it a bay until the hunter could move in for a clear shot.

:angel:

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='courtnek']and also because the sporting group is considered the most "diverse"...look at how many different breeds of sporting dogs there are, and each one was developed to do one or two specific jobs. [/quote]

I would have considered the "Non Sporting" Group to be the most diverse, myself... but then, so diverse as to make it impossible to sub-divide.

Also, while some sporting dogs point, others flush, and others retrieve, they're all essentially "bird dogs." A scent hound tracks, and a sight hound chases - two different jobs, but they are essentially hunting dogs.

I don't think it's a big deal, and I was actually more inclined towards pyrless' reasoning of tradition, but who knows. I was just curious, as it struck me as odd.