Dogomania

"Do you have any info on breeding?"

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

I'm standing in line at Petco, to get my dog a pig ear (to make up for a. not taking her and b. the kittens we have in our house). The lady in front of me says to the clerk, "Hey, do you have any information on breeding here?"

The kid asks what breed, and she says "Lab. I'm not ready yet, she's on her first heat. So I'll wait til the spring."

The kid wasn't sure, so she said okay and left with her kid. I wanted to tell her that if she had to ask a kid at a pet store about it, she probably shouldn't breed. Especially labs. Labs and Pits are constantly head-to-head in the classified section of the paper. Tons of labs already, don't need more. I held my tongue. Not that outspoken. Dangit, wish I was.

On the other hand, at Petsmart, I got to pet a pretty brindle pittie! I was talking to my mom, and I just suddenly veered away from her to chase after what looked to be a pit bull, and oohhh, it was :lol: Just as I was about to pet her (I had asked, and was leaning over) an employee boomed "Pittie Puppy??" behind them, so they all turned around. The dog ran up to him, and he said "Or pit/boxer mix?" Totally forgetting myself (I was so excited), I said "No" before the owners could reply :oops: They laughed and said she was all pit.

There was also a Rottweiler/Shepherd mix who was just gorgeous. Looked like a semi-shaggy Rottweiler with a big, fluffy tail. I love Petsmart! It was raining, too, so I didn't expect any dogs. I was glad I didn't have my dog with me. I love taking her, but I can't pet other dogs when I have her ;)

I probably wouldn't have had the guts to say anything either. And anything you could say in line at the pet store probably wouldn't make much of a difference anyway. Don't feel bad.

I was at the pet store today and saw somebody with a really cute 8 month old pittie. The sad thing was that she was buying it a muzzle. :-( She said she was sick of people complaining that the breed was dangerous so she thought maybe if she walked him with a muzzle on it would shut people up.

I told her not to buy the muzzle. I'm not sure if she did or not. I felt bad though.

Guest Mutts4Me

That's sad.

We can best educate by example. If someone thinks your dog is dangerous, ask "Is it trying to hurt you?" not muzzle it. The muzzle sends the message that your dog is dangerous and has to be restrained. That's just sad that someone would feel that defeated.