Dogomania

We did our first lure course!

73junebugz

At first I was nervous that Bolero wouldn't know what to do, or would be too scared to run. She WAS nervous around the other dogs (that afghan snob thing going on.) But after the first dog went and did the course, she was ALL up on that fence just wanting her turn. It was a small course, and she flew through it twice in a row without stopping. Although the field was fenced in, we were also afraid we'd have to chase her and catch her when it was done. Not a chance of that...she was on that lure at the end, not noticing anything else going on around her. What a great time!! She's sacked out on the couch now, but we're looking forward to doing another one sometime. She absolutely LOVED it! Anybody else do lure coursing?

My Doberman did for awhile - obviously not real trials, but just practices. We left after the verbal abuse got out of hand. Not all sighthound people are mean - far from it - but the club we were part of didn't like the fact that my Doberman was "tainting" their membership...

...grrrr. The thing is, Ilsa was faster than a lot of [i]their[/i] dogs!

Sounds fun!!! I'm going to get into it with Diego one day I think, I've got to find out how old they have to be first, he's only 4 months old now, but he's fast! Already faster than any dog he knows, even the sheep dogs on the farm, which are pretty fast. Everyone at training loves him and is amazed by the turn of speed he gets when he really goes for it :D

Oh, sizzle...that's such a shame. There are those "kinds" in every group, I've found, and it's so unfortunate. Can't we all just get along?! :roll: I just love dobies. Hubby actually mentioned the other day that we should get a couple someday. He's a papillon lover, so that was a strange comment.

Aroura...I take it that Diego is a whippet? You have a pic of him somewhere? That's so cool. We also have a whippet, and I'd considered taking him today, but he's 13 and beginning to get some arthritis. I just didn't think he should have that kind of vigorous activity. But I know he would have loved it. The course we did today was just a practice, but for AKC events, they should be a year old. Diego will love it!