Dogomania

Runt Rottie

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello,
First post here, nice boards btw. We just purchased another rottie from the same breeder that I have dealt with before. The mother had a litter of 13, and they were all very small pups. The mother is very large and she stepped on 3 pups and killed them. The breeder took the pups away and had supervised feedings to prevent anymore deaths.

Anyway, to get to the point,,, my 7 week old rottie is only 3 lbs!!!! He eats, plays, sleeps, goes to the bathroom like a normal sized puppy. I took him to my vets today and we saw one of the new Dr's. She acted shocked that he is a full blooded rottie, because of his size. I realize that there is problems with runts, but she actually has made me very afaird for his health. She told me we needed to keep an eye on him for his liver and other internal parts. I understand this, and I am not disagreeing with her. But she had the bed side manner of a cat.

Has anyone had any experience with a rottie being this small? His exam went fine other wise, he does have worms, already taken care of. Would just like to get some feedback and insight from others.

Sorry I can't be much help with your specific question, but I have to commisserate - I have the greatest vet in the world but one or two of his partners are ... well, let's just say not as good IMO at least with dogs. Now unless it's an emergency I'll wait for my regular.

Can you get your pup back to see your regular vet?

Guest Anonymous

:o :o :o 13 pups?!!!

3 pounds?!?! poor guy!!! that is super small for rotties.. oh please keep us updated..

When we brought home our rottie ( fromt he pound ) she was only 9 pounds and underweight.. but turned out great.. just hard headed..

Guest Anonymous

I would be asking the breeder a few questions about the pregnancy. How was the Momma? Did she have any worms? Could be her milk was not top quality this go around. My Sadie was 15lbs at 8 weeks, she's not a Rottie. But Bullmastiff's are simular in body mass and weight. So I'm betting your little guy sould be at least 10 to 12lbs.
I have seen some vets that have no compassion, it's all about the Benjamins to them. I had one tell me if I didn't put my Schnauzer on an IV and let them keep him for 3 days he was gonna die. She told me the bill would be roughly $500. I would have to pay it when I picked him up.
My 9 year old Daughter was standing right there. I was a single Mother with 2 kids and couldn't afford to pay that kind of money.
I took him home, fed him Pedialite and gave him Amodim AD for the next 2 days. He's alive and well today. So stick with your regular vet. Once you find one that you bond with and trust, their priceless.

Krista