Dogomania

How effective is garlic in repelling insects?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi! I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

My question is...How effective is raw garlic, fed to dogs, in repelling fleas and other insects?

We have 4 adopted dogs--a beagle-basset mix, a beagle, and 2 greyhounds. The cost of flea, tick, heartworm and other prescribed medications is getting prohibitive. But we love our kids, and we want to keep them healthy.

So, we'd like to know how well garlic works in repelling insects of all kinds that transmit diseases. My co-worker swears by it, but...And, how much should we give them, and how often?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tina Nystrom

garlic combined with nutritional yeast works pretty well. don't use brewere's yeast tho, it is not as good of quality as nutritional yeast, which is just a brewery industry byproduct.

the abundance of B complex vitamins in the yeast and the properties of the garlic work well together to repel insects. and the healthier your dogs and the stronger their immune systems are, the better it will work - so a good diet and overall care is important as well.

fleas only spend minimal time on the animal tho, so you should also manage your environment, for example by using diatomaceous earth and herb powders in pet sleeping areas to kill all fleas that are not currently on the animals.